Chapter Twelve

“Don’t run in the corridor!” I snapped as yet another pair of students ran past me, late to their classes. Ever since I’d gotten back from my horrendous date I’d been in a vile mood, mainly because he wouldn’t leave me alone. You’d think that after I hadn’t answered any of his first four owls that Demetrius would get the message, but obviously the cold had frozen his brains. It was now late October, Halloween to be exact, and at the hospital wing we had been receiving more and more children with pumpkins for heads than ever! “Poppy, I’m back you can go to lunch now.” I said as I entered the room.

“Oh thank you Erin dear! These two idiots have just come in, would you mind taking care of them for me?” She asked gesturing to two new additions to the hospital wing, a Gryffindor and a Slytherin. That was as much as I could tell from their school ties.

“You two are lucky I can’t slice you up and turn you into a pie.” I said under my breath as I quickly did the counter hex before making them drink a soothing tonic, which would knock them out for about half an hour to help restore their brain back to normal.

Whilst I waited for them, and the rest of the patients, to return to their normal state, I decided to read the letters that I had received this morning; both of them were from people whose handwritings I recognised.

Pumpkin!

You haven’t written to me in a while, does that mean everything is good? Or should I be worried? If you had written me you would know by now that I’m currently seeing someone. She works at the Ministry and we met through mutual friends. I really think that you would like her. In fact I also wanted to tell you that Violetta (that’s her name) and I will be coming to Hogsmeade just before Christmas. Would it be possible for you to meet up with is? Also I need to give you your present.

            On another note, I heard at the ministry that the ‘Dark Lord’ is recruiting again, as many people as he can. Everyone fears that the war is not yet over. There’s been killings too, mainly Muggles and Muggle-borns. Just please be strong and careful. I know Dumbledore will look out for you, Severus too no doubt from the way you have described him. I thought you should know. The Ministry hasn’t released this information yet, but I thought that it would be best to inform you of the situation the Ministry is trying to deal with.

All the best Darling

            Dad

I smiled as I read my dad’s letter, I couldn’t believe that he had started dating someone, she must be a very special woman. But as long as she makes him happy, I’ll be happy. However, the last bit troubled me some. This man, this man who claims himself to be the ‘Dark Lord’, killed my mother. He killed her just because she wouldn’t follow him. Why would he even want a Ravenclaw? I thought he only wanted the Slytherins, his most loyal serpents. I sighed as I turned to the next envelope. I didn’t even bother reading it before I tossed it into the fire.

“Didn’t even read it and you already burnt it.” A voice said, startling me so much I nearly jumped out of my seat.

“Oh, Severus, don’t do that!” I scolded as I got up and went to check on a few students that should be waking up soon. “Why would I need to read it? He’s been sending me the same letter for weeks now, this one is hardly going to be any different.” I said as I checked the vitals of the only student that wasn’t in here because of a pumpkin hex, she was in here because she missed the gap between a moving staircase and a platform.