chapter 3: I'm Phantom

Jason's POV

I've been working all day today, but i couldn't wait for tonight even if i wasn't racing Red probably was, it seems like either they challenge her or me every weekend. but it wasn't me this time. i wasn't even sure why i wanted to watch her race, i mean she was great but i think the fact that i didn't know who she was or what she looks like is what made me interested. the girl was smart, i had run her licence plate and come up empty, they were supposed to be on an '86 Camry, definitely not the car she was driving. i know i shouldn't be abusing my job and running her plates but hell!! racing was already illegal; i just could never stop doing it. i've been racing since i was 16, I'm 25 now. a police officer and my mom is happy thinking that i have left my old life behind but i just can't, its not me, but its ok because no one knows about it. it's like at night i become me, the Phantom.

i was already at the track when i heard her pull up, whatever is in that car sounds sick!, i wonder who her mechanic is? hmmm... maybe i can ask arround there arent that any people in town that could work on her car.

she was racing that Jesse kid, he is good but i know she will beat him. i really want  to race her, i bet if i win i can get her mad enough to reveal who she is.

as i predicted she beat the kid with no problem, i approached her, i needed to know what her voice was like and i wanted to see if she would race a real track. by the time i got close to her she was leaving so i grabbed her arm, next thing i know i'm slammed against her car. what the fuck!! im a cop how did she do that?!

"wow there! didnt mean to scare you, im sorry"

"sorry, reflexes" her voice was even sexy, damn!

"i've been watching you race, you  are good. i just wanted to iintroduce myself. I'm Phantom" i said extending my hand to her

"Red" she said flashing me a smile

"i know" i said smiling back "you should try the northside track, it's actual track races, i think you would enjoy it, that  is if you think you are good enough" i saw her jaw tighten , i know pissing her off is probably not a good idea but i really want her to see me race

she left without a smile, hopefu;y she is wondering who i am, as much as i want to know who she is.

*****

Beep

Beep

Beep

"shit!" and right now i really hate my job, "it's Saturday for crying at loud!!!" i knew staying out late last night would make today suck , but i least i got to talk to Red

"red" i said to myself. she had a different licence plate last night, maybe this one would lead somewhere. that thought motivated me to get uo and get to work.

my partner and i got an easy ride today, just riding the university campus, which is pretty dead, aside from the ramdom hangover party people walking arround like zombies, but at least we could get a good breakfast at the uni coffee shop.

"what do you want man?" i asked David

"m,y usual, coffee and a ham and cheese"

"okay" i said while i went inside and he walked over to get a table outside

"what can i get you ma'am?" the girl at the counter asked the lady in from of me

"caramel latte, skim milk, and two raisin scones please"

the voice was what made look at the girl in front of me, it sounded just like red's voice, but it wasn't her, i mean she was beautiful but she had long chocolate brown hair, and was wearing heels, she was more elegant, almost soft and fragile. it couldn't be her, red was strong and moved like she owned the place.

"excuse me ma'am?"

"yes?" she said turning to look at me

"you left your book on the counter" i said handing to her

"thanks" she said, she was looking at me almost as if she was trying to figure something out before her order was called and she walked off.

i grabbed my order and walked outside just to see David talking to the same girl