14

14. THE ORPHEUM

"MISS GIRL!"

Julie threw her pencil across the room at the intrusion, surprised by the voice interrupting her doodling session in her bedroom.

"Eleanor, what the hell? You scared me!" Julie hissed, rubbing the bridge of her nose under her glasses.

"Sorry, sorry, but I have news," The ghost replied, flopping down on the bed next to her with a grin.

"I hope it's better news than what Luke just told me."

"Oh...right."

Eleanor crossed her legs and picked at her cuticles as Julie picked up another pencil and returned to her drawing.

"I, um, I really wanted to tell you, but the boys didn't want to, and...I'm scared, Jules. I don't wanna let go of everything we've worked to hard to create."

"I know, I can't believe this is happening."

"Yeah, especially after what happened with Reggie."

"Wait, what?"

"Oh! Right! That's why I came here. I, uh, kissed Reggie, apparently."

"YES!" Julie shouted and slapped her hand over her mouth realizing how loud she was. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks, Jules," Eleanor smiled sheepishly, slightly flustered from the attention.

"Wait, oh no, that's why you said you weren't going to do anything about...Oh, El."

"Yeah, this isn't going to end well for anyone, huh?"

"You have no idea how angry I am over this. The band can't just end like this!"

"I dunno, Jules, maybe we take the opportunity to start a female pop band and rule the world. Do you think Dirty Candy has any openings?"

Julie didn't react to the joke, so Eleanor sighed and took the pencil from her hand.

"This isn't going to be easy, but we can get through this together. I promised your mom I'd look out for you, you know."

Flynn announced her arrival with a knock on the door, and Eleanor took it as her cue to leave and stood from the bed. She poofed out to the studio, finding the boys mid-discussion, with Alex laying across the couch, Luke on the floor, and Reggie playing his bass in a chair. They stopped mid-sentence upon her arrival and turned their eyes towards her.

"You! Did it really happen or is Reggie lying?" Luke pointed to Eleanor.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Eleanor smirked, walking behind Reggie and placing a kiss on the top of his head before wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

"See? I told you guys I wasn't lying!" Reggie whined, placing his hand over Eleanor's.

"Why would you guys think he was lying?"

"Because we thought you were smarter than that, El," Alex retorted, causing Reggie to throw his pick at him.

"Hey, 'bullying Reggie hours' aren't until six o'clock. It's still 'bullying Luke hours'."

"Rude!" Luke frowned, crossing his arms. Eleanor walked over to him, ruffled his hair, and sat next to him on the floor.

"I would be happier for you guys, but I'm too upset," Alex noted, trying to balance his drumstick on his nose.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the group as Reggie started playing the same discordant note over and over again. Everyone quickly zoned out, lost in their own thoughts to the point that they didn't register Julie walking in.