6

6. HAUNTING 101

With Flynn as the band's self-appointed manager, she booked their first gig at the school dance. There were mixed reactions to the news, but Eleanor was just happy to have something to do.

"We're playing a school dance? Sweet!" Reggie exclaimed, picking up a flyer that Flynn had made.

"It's not exactly the Strip," Luke frowned.

"And you're not exactly alive, so you should he happy we have our first gig."

"I wasn't in love with the idea at first either, but it could be a great way for us to build a following, right?" Julie replied while watering the plants in the studio.

"Yeah, we need to play wherever we can, whenever we can," Reggie agreed.

"No, you're right. Let's rock those kids' faces off and then play the clubs," Luke smiled.

"And then record a single that gets a billion streams?" Julie suggested.

"I don't know what that is, but hopefully it gets us a manager and a tour."

"Then we release a bunch of hit albums."

"Put out a country album that does surprisingly well," Reggie chimed in. "I shred on the banjo, so..."

"Now that I would love to see," Eleanor laughed.

"Then I'll learn how to fiddle," Julie added.

"And before you know it, we're being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," Luke concluded.

"But one of us isn't there. Because we had a blowout in 2032. My money's on Alex, he's just so sensitive."

"So what are we waiting for? Let's get rehearsing?"

"Uh...where's Alex?" Julie asked.

"Probably hanging out with his skater boyfriend," Eleanor hummed.

The two had been hanging out quite frequently, and she noticed the way the corners of Alex's mouth would curve upwards when talking about Willie. It was quite clear that he was crushing on him, so what kind of friend would Eleanor be if she didn't cover for Alex?

"Let's just rehearse without him. That way we can work on the tempo ourselves and focus on the lead stuff more," She suggested, and the others agreed.

After running through some songs, Alex popped back in, confused as to why they were rehearsing.

"Oh, hey Alex," Reggie greeted.

"Where have you been, man? We need to start practicing," Luke said.

"Yeah? For what?"

"Dance news!" Flynn barged in, throwing her hands up in the air. "I don't have a date. But I don't care because I'm so psyched to see you guys perform."

"Oh man, we're playing a dance?" Alex complained.

"Of course, dude. That's how we get a following nowadays," Luke replied.

"Yeah, get with the program, Alex," Julie smirked.

"What? The guys are here?" Flynn gasped, and waved in the wrong direction. "Hey guys!"

"Other way, sweetie."

"Okay, well, now that Alex has graced us with his presence, can we start working?" Luke frowned.

"Yes. We're gonna rehearse, you wanna stick around?"

"I'm suppose to blow up five-hundred balloons for the school dance, but this sounds way better."