T H I R T Y - O N E

[Will's POV]

"Shit! She needs to go to the hospital!"

"Katelynn, wake up."

The whole entire game had come to a stop after everyone noticed what happened to Katelynn. The cheering was replaced with gasps which was replaced with utter silence.

One second I was watching her looking cute as hell, cheerleading in my jersey and the next she's laying on the ground, unconscious.

The memory of her falling from several feet in the air replays in my head and I shake my head in an attempt to get myself to focus on the situation at hand.

I ran over as soon as I realized she wasn't okay and now I sit crouched on the ground, her head propped up in my lap. Her mom and dad are running towards us, looking as panicked as I feel.

"Will?" A small voice croaks making my jaw go slack.

I quickly look down to the girl in my lap and a strong rush of relief washes over me.

She's alive thank gosh.

"Kate are you okay? Does anything hurt?"

"No, i'm okay. I just need a moment." She breathes.

Her parents come to a stop in front of us, "What happened? Is she okay?" Scott looks anything but calm and I can say the same about his wife. His eyes scan over her body, looking for possible injuries.

"Katelynn, baby, are you okay?" Amanda drops down to the ground beside me and Katelynn. She brushes her hand through Katelynn's hair comfortingly but worry is laced in her voice.

"Mom, I'm okay." She says softly. "Can I get up now?" She moves to sit up but I hold her down, noticing her ankle. I try to swallow the lump in my throat.

"Maybe you should just relax for a few minutes, you fell pretty hard. There's no rush." I tell her gently.

My eyes flicker up to meet Scott's who is already looking at me. My gaze shifts to her ankle and his eyes follow. Scott announces that he's going to bring his truck round and then takes off towards the parking lot.

Amanda then notices Katelynn's ankle as well and the three of us silently agree to not bring the situation to Katelynn's attention.

Amanda begins asking her daughter a series of questions as calmly as she can while she holds onto her hand.

Our schools sports med, a fit man in his early thirty's named Tony, comes rushing over to examine Katelynn. He drops to his knees and before he can even ask her what hurts I take advantage of the fact that Katelynn is preoccupied by her mom's fussing and not really paying attention to me and mumble to Tony, "It's broken." And then to clarify I add, "her ankle."

I try to be quiet as to not cause her any panic. She seems a little out of it at the moment and I don't want her to freak out because I honestly don't know how she would react to the news.

If I'm being honest, I don't know how I'm not panicking. The sight of her ankle alone is enough to make me want to hurl.

Tony's eyes follow to where my eyes are already looking and his eyes take on a look of recognition. He reaches out for her ankle and very gently adjusts it in an examination.

Katelynn's attention is pulled away from her mother when she hisses in pain and bites her lip. Instinctively I reach for her hand and lace it with mine.

"Tony, what the hell man?" What did he think would happen? It's clearly broken!

"Can everyone that's not family please take a few steps back?" It was a question asked by Tony but the authority in his voice made it sound more like a demand. "We don't want to overwhelm her."