Your mothers weird.

Amber's POV

After I subtly ended the conversation with the brunette, I convinced Klaus to quickly show me the basics of the town before dropping me off back at the mansion.

Kol and Klaus stayed out for the rest of the night, no doubt killing and drinking.

It was annoying, I think, that I was suddenly in the clutches of a being I was supposed to avoid. I'm not stupid, I know that if I attempted to run, I would put myself in a path of severe pain that my healing wouldn't mend.

"Excuse me mate," I said, sitting cross legged and straight backed on the queen bed I'd been given. I know talking to a wall was a sign of insanity, but there wasn't anyone in the house that was aloud to talk to me. I pursed my lips, clearing my throat, "excuse me, may I have-" I scowled, that's not right either.

I knew I'd been in England but how hard was it to slang this part of American? I can speak different languages but had I neglected my birth places words so much?

"Oi - oh bloody hell!" I hissed, knowing that was the start of a very different slang, "why is it that this is so hard?"

Taking several deep breaths, allowing blood to flow through my veins I got up. In order to master, I first have to learn... Again. I rolled my eyes walking silently until I came across the voices of two Hybrids.

I leant against the wall, closing my eyes. I was just close enough to hear their voices, the pronunciation of their words whirling in my mind. I mouthed their words as I returned to the room, the familiarity returning.

Turning the shower on I practiced, each morphing to the slang of my birth town. "Klaus, Salvatore, watching, Doppelganger, sire, Tyler, Grill, pain..."

The words were few to go on but I caught on. By the time I finished showering, I talked like my sister.

Hopefully.

"You must be Amber."

I paused, the towel draped over my head. I ripped it off, flicking my damp hair out of my face as I turned to look at the door.

A woman, mid-forties perhaps, was smiling at me. Strawberry blonde hair freshly cut to just above her shoulders, she wore a dark pencil skirt with a matching blouse and a thick coat over the top.

She wasn't wearing shoes, however.

"Who are you?" I asked, straightening my shoulders. I spoke my new adopted accent like I owned it. I returned no smile.

"My name is Esther," she said, taking a step into the broad room. "I believe my son holds you captive here, correct?"

I narrowed my eyes, "what does it matter?" Klaus was cocky, but he had the power to be. Plotting and scheming against him is pointless and irrelevant to me, and the tone beneath her words showed the opposite.

My instincts sent adrenaline through me and I was suddenly on my guard.

Like hell was I about to be six feet under.

"Do not be afraid, I am not a Vampire like my children." She smiled again. "You can speak freely, I have spelled the room before I entered."

"Why?" I frowned, looking around. "It's not as if this conversation has been top secret. Its just been... Well whatever it is its not going to bite me in the ass later."

"Perhaps," she mused, "I wanted to inform you that I am having a Ball tomorrow night. I hope you will join the festivities."

"Yeah I'll probably be in here the whole time," I answered, grabbing the brush and pulling it through my hair.