Chapter 9: fifth year

"Mr. Snape, what is the meaning of this?"

"Potter hexed me, Professor, so I returned the favour—"

"No, he didn't, Professor McGonagall!" cried Kevin Sharpe. "Snape hexed Potter first; I saw it myself."

"I see." McGonagall's lips thinned as she glared at everyone in sight. "Well, I suppose you're not lying, Sharpe, since you are the Head Boy, but I do assure you, Mr. Snape, Mr. Potter"—she looked at the two boys—"you will be sent straight to the Headmaster if this ever happens again. Black, put Potter to order again. Good day to you all."

Sirius hurried to James and muttered the counter-curse. James quickly scrambled to his feet and stood up right in front of Snape.

"We'll continue this later, Snivellus," he muttered.

"Do you see, Potter?" nagged Lily, as they headed to the school grounds for a bit of air. "Hexing Snape only causes more trouble; why don't you guys just leave each other alone?"

"I don't know Evans," said James bitterly. "Snape was the one who started it this time. Even you saw what happened. Funny really, though. You never seem to stick up for me, but you stick up for Snape plenty of times."

"Well, that's because—" Lily stopped and realised that James was right; she never did give him a single good word about it and spent the whole time on Snape's side—a Slytherin! How could she be so despicable?

"Yes?" he said icily.

"It's because—because I like you, all right?" she yelled. What am I doing, telling Potter that I like him? I must be out of my mind!

James' eyes widened, and he gaped at her, unable to say anything. The Marauders and girls exchanged knowing looks with each other and surveyed the scene with relish. But Lily had already run off to the direction of Gryffindor Tower, tears running down her cheeks. He took action at once.

"LILY!" he cried. "WAIT!"

But she paid no mind to him.

He was running after her, dodging trick staircases and the disapproving tittering from the portraits ("Really, the boy can show some consideration for us!" said one ancient maiden impatiently.)

"Pixie Dust," gasped James, as he reached the portrait hole.

The Fat Lady swung open, admitting entrance. He rushed to the direction of the fifth-year girls' dormitory, but found himself slipping to the ground as he tried to climb the staircase. Several girls giggled and pointed at him from the fireplace.

"Potter?" Lily wiped the last of her tears and looked at James apprehensively. "What're you doing here?"

"Looking for you, of course. Look, I think we need to talk—"

A burst of sniggering followed as the girls by the fire started to blush and poke one another. James raised an eyebrow.

"Just what is so funny?" he retorted.

"You just said the four words that any girl or guy is afraid of," supplied one, who was exceptionally calmer than all the rest.

"Oh, sod off," he muttered viciously, and went over to Lily.

"Potter, just forget about what I said, all right?" snapped Lily.

"But—"

"Forget it."

"I won't! Evans, just listen to me..."

"Look, Potter, I don't like you, all right? I don't know why I ever said I did—"