Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jonah

"I got my friend Jerry from work to take my shift today, I'm going to stay home with Liam, so he can sleep in," I said to Brett as he glanced down the hall at our closed door, probably planning on getting him up.

"Jo, he was fine last night, you spoil him too much, maybe he needs to toughen up a bit."

"I don't spoil him, I just...I want to make sure he really is okay and I need to study for my First Aid/CPR class anyway, we're having an exam soon, he can help me."  I don't spoil him, do I?  I mean, he's not spoiled, he's perfect...he just little and needs me so it comes off that way...am I deluding myself.  Nah.

"You focus more on him than your own life," Brett said, following me into the kitchen.

"Brett...he is my life, you know that."  Brett and I had an understanding that had developed over the years and my connection to Liam became clearer.  He knew that I loved Liam with all my heart, but he also knew that I wouldn't be taking that love any further than a brotherly type of love until he is not only old enough age-wise, but emotionally ready for a romantic relationship, and not until I was sure that he knew who and what he wanted.  I had to be sure I wasn't making that choice for him or pushing him into anything out of loyalty.  Only if he truly felt as strongly as me, would I pursue a relationship with Liam...when he was old enough. 

"I know, I guess sometimes I just don't get it.  Don't you want to date other people, fool around...get laid...I mean, sometimes I'm so horny I feel like I could jump Aiden if he wasn't such a dork."  

Aiden whacked the back of his head as he walked into the kitchen and straight to the coffee maker. 

"I'd rather suck my own dick," he said bluntly.

"Good luck with that," Brett mused.

"It's not like you haven't tried," he taunted.

Before they got into an all-out bickering match, I held up my hands.  "Enough...what do you guys want for breakfast, I'm cooking?" As the biggest one in the house, they all tended to listen to me; Aiden nicknamed me the Alpha, but Brett was the oldest (well Aiden was, but that didn't count because he was an idiot most of the time) so under most circumstances I deferred that title and responsibility to him, just not when it came to Liam.  They both knew, when it came to Liam, even Brett let me take the lead...or when the two of them were being immature dickheads, I usually had to intervene.

"Scrambled eggs and toast," the two sang together.  It was both of their favourite, especially when I added a little hot sauce.

"Okay click and clack, it'll be ready in 10 minutes."

After breakfast they hustled out the door off to their jobs and I set up my laptop in the living room and started up one of the First Aid training videos from my class to help me review for my first test.  Since I was working at the hospital, even though my job was only really taking the food trays to patients or wheeling them to X-Ray or discharge, I was encouraged to take the in-depth training and get certified with the Red Cross.  I would need it for school in the fall anyway, since I was starting a pre-med program, so I figured I'd take it over the summer and be one step ahead in September.

Liam had been helpful when I was practicing things like slings, applying dressings and even CPR, until we would get silly and I'd revive him with a massive tickle attack, much to his delight.  The video I was reviewing was about penetrating chest wounds and amputation, basically, a very bloody chapter of the accompanying book.  But for some reason it didn't bother me, instead, I just focused on the best ways to treat the bleeding, both short term and long term.