Chapter 17: The Jungle's Secret (Part 3)

He's been missing for nearly a week, sir. We can't track him.  It's game over; the hacker's got him.  Maybe he was working with whoever hacked the system all along to exploit your experiment to our enemies."

        John closed his eyes in deep thought.  "Are we likely to find him?"

"No, sir.  We've searched the entire island at least twice.  We've deployed search crews for the land, air, and sea and contacted HQ.  There's no sight of him.  Damian said some monster got him, which would explain why we can't find a body.  Shall I report him MIA, sir?"

        John opened his eyes and glared.  That's just what the bugger would want.  MIA: Missing in Action.  What a great way to go, and slip off into the world with his life's work.  He'd probably found the crystal, realized the power he could have, and stolen it.  That hacker must have been working with him.  Even if he wasn't, and the hacker was in league with his enemies, John couldn't risk the chance that Ace would reveal his information.  It was no secret the boy already hated him.  And if the boy hated him...then they would have all the credit. His credit.  He forced to look up at the man who was awaiting his orders. "Yes, please.  That will be all."

        The man nodded respectfully before leaving the room.  "As you wish, sir."

John waited until he shut the door before picking up the phone, and dialing a number he only dialed in emergencies.

        "Hello?" A cold voice asked from the other line.

"It's me.  And we've got a problem.  The boy's been reported MIA.  Either he was killed by some beast, they got him, or he's decided that these crystals are something he's interested in."

        Silence on the other line.

"Sir?"

        Nothing.

"...Sir?"

        "If he is alive, we cannot afford to let him live.  You already trusted him with too much, and by doing so, have put me at risk," the voice hissed angrily.

        John shivered.  "I know, sir. I'll fix it. I promise."

"I know you will.  Because if you don't find him and...eliminate him... It will be your life on the line." The voice snapped.  "Don't disappoint me."

        John stared down at his desk as the line went dead.  Eliminate the boy.  Or die.  If he was already dead, his job would be so much easier.  But John had a bad feeling that Ace had survived the brutal attack.  A feeling of cold dread settled in his stomach.  Though the chances were slim, the boy had survived against impossible odds before. 

        John turned to look out the window, and surveyed the island below him.  It would be so easy to report him MIA and continue with this mission.  But if Ace lived... there would be serious repercussions.  And as long as Ace lived, John would die.

        With shaking hands John wheeled around to his desk.  Tentatively, he picked up his receiver and swiftly made the call that would terminate Ace's contract... and his life.