Chapter 9: Stepping Up to the Plate

I checked the Z-Phone daily and so far there was no word from John. Minutes trickled by into hours, and hours bled into days, until finally it was only a week before the Harvest Dance. I was still contemplating whether or not I should ask Clarissa to go. Especially since John hadn't contacted me at all, and it seemed I was home-free for at least another week.

Clarissa and I had been hanging out a lot more of late, and I'd been helping her with her essay. Borgos' methods were working well for me, especially since I had personal connections with dragons, and could offer insight about past events that didn't quite match up with their explanations, leading Clarissa to suspect supernatural activity.

We hung out at lunch almost daily, and we often helped each other with assignments.

It was Monday, and the dance was taking place this Friday. Not only was I terrible around girls to being with, but asking would be to admit my feelings for her. Borgos encouraged me greatly, saying that everything would be fine, and that of course she'd go with me. Still, I wasn't sure... But time was of the essence. And, according to Borgos, girls needed at least a week to arrange their outfits, and consult with their friends and whatnot. I don't think I'll ever under stand how girls operate.

Finally, I decided it was now or never.

I was going to do it today, no matter what.

The question was how?

Borgos, ever helpful, suggested I ask her over, or at lunch. I decided on the latter. Throughout my first and second period classes, I mentally created, edited, and discarded hundreds of scripts. Should I just ask her bluntly? Get a conversation going, and causally pop the question? Act all confident and just march right up to her while she's at her locker? It was almost laughable really. If I had to choose between asking Clarissa to the dance, or fighting 10 of those creepy rock monsters from that volcano, I'd pick the rock monsters. Yes, I'm that nervous.

I swear someone froze time in all my classes, and speeded lunch up. Before I knew it half the period had gone by! Today, Borgos, Clarissa and I were eating outside in our usual spot under a patch of secluded trees at the far end of the football field. Borgos was keeping his distance, jogging around the track and shooting me looks of, 'just do it already,' whenever he passed us. I tried, really I did... it's just it wasn't that simple. Quite a few times Clarissa would look at me oddly, and ask me if I was feeling alright. I guess she could tell I was kinda...out of it. Finally, our conversation died away, as she took a drink from her water bottle. Well, it's now or never, I chided myself.

"Hey, Clarissa?"

"Mhmm?"

"I was just, uh...wondering if..." I can't do this...

"Wondering what?"

"If um... if you'd like to..." I could feel my throat going dry, "If, you'd um..."

"If I'd what?"

"...if you'd... lend me your biology notes... cause I think I missed something from the note yesterday." Good one, you spineless, lily-loving little-

"But you got everything on that note, remember? You borrowed my note during English and copied it."

You probably deserved that; I chided myself, "Oh, my apologies then."

Borgos jogged by on his lap, giving me an annoyed expression, and silently tapping his watch and holding up 5 fingers. 5 minutes until the bell rang. Fuck.

"Ace, you okay?" Clarrisa asked, "You don't look so good..."

"Yeah, I uh...ate too much."

"But you've barely eaten a sandwich; you usually eat at least 4. Is something bothering you?"