Chapter 4: A Critical Error

It had been almost 4 weeks since Borgos and I went to the forest and found out that someone wants me dead. Borgos and I waited a while upon returning to our secret training grounds, just in case of...well, you know, some guy blowing my head off. However, about a week ago Borgos and I started going back to the forest, but we always were cautious and traveled together. I'm worried about Borgos, though. See, he thinks it'll be alright for him to train on his own when I'm too busy to go with him. I keep trying to convince him not to go on his own, cause that's what they want us to think. See, I figure that they'll be all, "hey, let's leave 'em alone for a month and then sneak up on 'em when they let their guard down."

Yeah, I'm not falling for it.

But the idiot is.

Yesterday I had a project to do, so Borgos figured he could just waltz into the forest, alone, and not even tell me where he was going. All I find is a note stuck to the fridge saying, "Going to train at the forest, be back around 7."

Yeah, so I book it to the forest as quick as I can, and ream Borgos out.

You think it worked?

Naw!

The idiot's been going to the forest all week alone. I don't have time to baby-sit him, so I finally yelled at him today and told him if he wanted to get a bullet through his head, that I hoped it at least knocked some sense into him. Yeah, not a smart move on my part cause he went anyway, but still. What kind of a moron goes there alone, human or not? I know it's almost been a month since the encounter but still...

To make matters worse, that Damian kid hasn't been in class much, and I don't trust him one bit. He keeps saying he's got some family issues right now, making our teacher all sympathetic; the slime ball...

But let's backtrack for a second.

The past 3 days Damian's been in science, 'aight? Get this; he knows it's me he's hunting. See, I didn't tell Borgos, cause he'd either beat him up, or cause some other scene to draw attention. But in biology, he keeps looking at me slyly, almost mockingly, like he knows a secret. After Borgos stormed out on me today, within an hour I found a note under the door. Wanna know what it said?

I know what you are.

Yeah, lovely ain't it? It's almost 10pm and Borgos still isn't back yet. He's been gone almost 3 hours. I'm hoping he's just going for a walk to calm down. I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but the bloke can be a bit thick-headed sometimes...

Alright, it's 12:30am, and I'm jogging to the forest. There's been no sign of Borgos, and I've already called him twice, texted him, and left two messages. Not too mention my legs feel like they're on fire, since I haven't run this fast in a long time. I arrive at the forest within 5 minutes; a personal best. I can't see Borgos anywhere, and I'm worried if I call out, I might alert anyone else out here...

But hey, sometimes you've gotta take risks, right?

"Borgos! Borgos, man I'm sorry, please if you're here, I just need to know you're alright! Borgos, please answer me!"

My voice echoes eerily through the quiet night, and then fades like a poltergeist. A cold whistling wind begins to pick up around me, tousling my dark hair, and I can't hear any reply from Borgos. I call out for another 10 minutes, trying not to let my imagination get the better of me. Suddenly, I hear a noise, and I shift into a sub-human state on instinct. My black wings are out, and I have assumed a defensive position. Luckily, it was just my phone vibrating from a text message.

A text message from Borgos.

To my relief it reads:

Yo, Ace. Sorry I overreacted. You're right, it's still dangerous, and I shouldn't let my guard down. Sorry I didn't answer your calls or texts, I had my phone off. I'm home now; I was just walking around campus to cool down. Where are you?