Chapter 16: (Teaser - Will be released within the week!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! Again, I wanted to thank you all for the long wait during the school year. I also want to thank everyone who yelled at me for doing so, because now it's summer.

AND I'M BACK!

I'm probably roughly halfway through chapter 16 right now and it's getting good :D

The one request I do have, which would make me very happy, is if each of you reading would be able to critique a chapter or so. Make it as detailed as possible, and if you have any ideas for future chapters, please include them too! I'm really looking to improve my writing, so if you have the time to critique a chapter thoroughly, it would be amazing! I'll gladly return the favour if you do, just leave a link to the story you'd like me to critique, and I'll get back to you asap!

Enough of my rambling. Here's a sneak peek of Chapter 16 ;)

~ Draconis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm retrieving my pizza as Borgos walks in. I hear the door close, the thump of his backpack as he tosses it onto the couch, and his footsteps as he walks into the room. He swipes a slice of pizza from my plate, chewing thoughtfully. When I don't make a move to fight him for it, or even yell at him, he frowns.

"What's eating you?"

I force myself to just tell him. "We may have to move again."

He shrugs. He doesn't care, "We always have to move. Why are you so upset?"

And then it hits him, and I see the concern on his face. He doesn't even need to voice it aloud.

The word hangs between us unspoken like a tangible thing.

Clarissa Swanson.

Suddenly I want to tell him everything. Everything that's happened. How John blackmailed me, how the hacker is a threat. So I do. The words are spilling out of my mouth before I know what to do with them. I'm practically tripping over myself to get it all out. I don't care that John made me promise not to tell anyone. The others are at risk because of me; Borgos has a right to know. I tell him about the crystals, how my first mission was in a volcano. He raises his eyebrows at this, but doesn't interrupt me. I tell him about my second mission, the horror of the undead, the problem with my wing. He seems pleased that he was able to find the blue crystal that day, but again, he doesn't interrupt me. Finally I finish telling him about the events of this morning, and I'm startled when the clock on the wall reads 8pm. We're sitting on the couch in the living room, a plate of empty pizza crumbs between us.

It feels good to tell someone. I didn't realize how worried I'd been until I told him.

He leans back against the couch, and for the first time he is silent. He stares blankly into space, as though in a daze himself. I watch the ticking clock on the wall instead. Wondering what he'll say. Nearly 5 minutes pass before I hear him speak again.

"You have to break up with her."