15

I CAN'T MISS SCHOOL, so Minho and I go there together when it's time.

We take the bus and walk into the school together. The air is getting colder, so Minho let me borrow one of his sweaters so I could stay warm. It feels weird wearing his clothes, but I can't deny it also feels comfortable somehow.

Once inside, we make our way to the landing on the back hallway stairs without even saying a word to each other. We both just know that's where we're going.

I sit down with my back against the wall and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. Minho gave me pills for the headache, but it's not completely gone.

"You doing okay?" He asks, sliding down to sit next to me. His hand almost touches mine.

I feel my cheeks heat up. I keep my eyes closed. "I'm okay. Just... nervous about going home."

"Why?"

"I'm just worried I'll get in trouble for being out all night." I finally open my eyes and turn to Minho.

He's giving me a sympathetic smile. "I'm sure you'll be fine. And if not, you can always crash at my place."

My heart ba-bumps irregularly for a moment. I don't respond to him.

"You can text me though," he says. "And I'm guessing I'll see you in detention?"

I smile at him. "You can count on that. But..."

"But what?"

"I sort of... blocked your number." I squeeze my eyes shut. "I'm really sorry. I just... I got nervous because of how close we were getting and I just blocked it."

Minho laughs. "It's okay, Yena. Just unblock me and I'll text you again."

I look back at him.

"Unless... you don't want to be friends still?"

"Minho..." I take a deep breath. "I want to be friends with you. I really do. I'm just... I'm scared. I don't know how to talk to people or tell them things about me. And I'm scared if you figured out why I have bruises..."

"I'd what?" He asks. "I'd leave you? I wouldn't want to be friends with you anymore? Yena, you've seen what I do and how I get my bruises. Why would I ever judge you for yours?"

I feel my cheeks heating up again.

"We can take it slow," he whispers, leaning a little closer to me, smiling. "I promise I won't ever hurt you, Yena. And you don't have to tell me everything. We can take our friendship slow and you can tell me things when you feel ready. Is that okay?"

Slowly, I nod.

He grins. "Okay. I'll see you in detention then?"

I smile back. "See you in detention."

<<<

MINHO IS ALREADY SITTING at his seat when I walk into detention. That's a first.

The teacher today is one I've had before. She doesn't mind phones as much as other teachers, and she sits at her desk and does her work. I don't mind her.

I sit down in a seat next to Minho and he smiles kindly at me. "How are you doing?"

I take a deep breath. "I'm okay. I get more anxious toward the end of the day. I'm just praying no one saw me sneak out and they haven't noticed I was gone."

Minho reaches out toward me but then thinks twice about it and pulls his hand back. "I'm sure you'll be fine, Yena. And if anything goes bad, just remember you have me.