08

//yena

AFTER SUCCESSFULLY AVOIDING MY mother Monday morning, I make it to school.

I wish I could've avoided her all weekend, but that would've been to good to ever be true.

Saturday, she made lunch for me. We ate together in the kitchen while Ji-sub was at work. We didn't talk until she finished, and she started shouting about how I never help cook and I barely help clean or do anything besides sit in my room.

She took me into the bathroom and made me lean over the tub as she hit me with her big, metal spoon from the kitchen. She hit my back and my legs. Then she was leaving, and I made the mistake of telling her how much of a coward she is.

She screamed and threw the heavy cup on my counter right at me. It hit my neck, brushing my shoulder, and then fell into the bathtub. It cracked into four pieces and my mother left.

The mark on my neck developed into a bruise, so I'm wearing a turtle neck shirt under my uniform shirt today.

Now, I'm sitting at a table in the library, working on some math homework that's supposed to be due today, but I don't think I'll finish in time.

I work hard to finish the work, but I'm getting more discouraged as more time passes and seemingly less problems are getting solved.

"You're not gonna get detention today?"

I look up to my right and there he is.

Minho.

I glance at my work then look back at him. He's wearing a turtle neck too, but his uniform shirt isn't on over it. He's just in his uniform pants and a black-and-red-striped turtle neck, pulled all the way up to his jaw. To cover his bruise, I assume.

"I have so much more homework than this," I say. "I don't even think I'll get this done in time."

"Probably not, if you're gonna come help me with this." He points to his jaw, where the bruise is, underneath the shirt.

I pack my things up into my backpack and silently lead Minho out of the library. I start moving toward the girls' bathroom.

"Did you bring the makeup stuff?" I ask Minho.

"Yeah," he answers. "Where are we going?"

"The bathroom." I stop in front of the girls' bathroom and turn around to face Minho. "There shouldn't be anyone in here. Most girls don't go to this one. But even if there's someone in there, they won't care."

Minho looks a little uncertain for a second, but the look quickly disappears and is replaced by a smirk. "If you're saying to go in, then it isn't my choice."

I roll my eyes and open the door. "It's still your choice, but nice try."

I lead Minho into the bathroom and over to the counter.

"Give me your stuff," I demand, but not on purpose. It just comes out that way.

Minho chuckles as he gets the makeup stuff out and puts it on the counter. Then he flashes me a smile.

After washing my hands, I take the liquid foundation and put a drop on my finger. I look over at Minho and see he's already pulled down his shirt so his bruise is uncovered.

"So, just put some foundation on like this," I instruct as I begin dabbing on some of the foundation. "And then you just have to blend it out with the sponge. It takes practice, but you'll get it eventually." I start blending the foundation over his bruise, making sure to make it look pretty natural.

"You don't wear makeup," Minho says, trying not to move his jaw.

"Don't talk."

"But, how do you know how to do all this stuff if you don't wear makeup?"

I sigh, setting the makeup sponge on the counter. "I told you before, I know how to cover bruises. I use makeup to do it."

"Is that why I can't see any bruises on you?"

I close my eyes for a second then open them back up, grabbing the powder and brush. "Just don't ask questions, okay? So, just put some of this powder on the brush and kinda blend it on the liquid foundation."

I do as I'm telling Minho and once I'm finished, I have him turn around and look in the mirror.

"Wow. It doesn't even look like I have a bruise." He turns back to me. "Yena, you are a miracle worker."

I can't help but smile a small smile. "So, um, how'd you get it?"

"I thought we just weren't asking questions." Minho grins.

"You're right," I say quickly.

"But I'll tell you," Minho offers. "If you tell me how you know how to cover bruises."

I look up into Minho's eyes. They're a dark, russet brown and they seem to hold so much. He's looking back at me, almost staring. The left corner of his lip rises slightly.

Suddenly, the bathroom door opens.

The girl glances at us, gives Minho a weird look, then awkwardly goes into a stall.

Minho and I glance at each other before Minho quickly puts the makeup away in his bag and we leave the bathroom.

Once we're out of the bathroom, Minho starts laughing. I look over at him laughing and can't help but smile at him. I feel heat rising to my cheeks.

I quickly clear my throat, wiping my smile off my face.

Minho looks over at me, his smile starting to fade.

"So, you should know how to do it now," I tell him, giving him a slight nod. "I'll probably see you in detention."

I walk away toward my first class before Minho can even respond.