˗ˏˋelevenˎˊ˗

ANXIETY
a feeling of unease, such as worry or fear, that can be mild or severe.

➽───────────────❥

one month later.
⚠️ trigger warning.

the deadline for danna and zabdiel's project was last week, and today they got their project back, fully graded.

danna tapped the file in her hand, showing it off to zabdiel. "we got an a," she said, passing it to him. "oh thank god," he joked and the girl laughed.

he smiled. her laugh made his heart flutter. as much as he was trying to convince himself that she's just a friend, he definitely wants more than that.

the girl have been warming up to him. since clearly she's been laughing and smiling genuinely around him. with him she felt different, but she doesn't know what that could mean. even if she did, she's denying it.

the bell rang and the two left the class for lunch. "i wanna get you something, since i'd probably barely even pass without you. so what do you want?" zabdiel asked her.

"coffee would be good," she shrugged. "okay then," he said as the two went to the table their friends were at in the cafeteria.

"get it-" danna started to tell him but he cut her off. "two sugars and one creamer, i know," he said before going to get it.

the girl then sat down next to ester, leaving some space between her and erick for zabdiel.

"coffee again?" paula asked and the girl nodded. "you need to eat something," ester whispered to her. "i had a heavy breakfast," the girl shrugged.

it was clear how she was losing weight, but she's been wearing baggy clothes so no one really noticed. except for the girls of course.

zabdiel then came back with two cups of coffee, and they completely dodged the topic of danna not eating.

𐇲𐇲𐇲

danna was with zabdiel, in the living room of her abuelita's place. she had moved back there, since mateo basically begged her to come back and live with him.

as for zabdiel, he just wanted to drop by and hangout with her. they were sat in the living room as it was getting dark.

"zabdiel, why don't you stay for dinner?" rita suggested. zabdiel turned to look at danna who shrugged. "sure," he smiled at rita who then went back into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

"she makes the best food, you won't regret it," mateo said to zabdiel. "oye, and what bout me? i've been cooking for you," danna said, nudging her brother.

"yours are good too, but nothing can beat abuelita's," mateo said sheepishly. danna chuckled, messing up her brother's hair.

the house phone then started ringing. "i'll get it," danna said, getting up. she went to the table right behind the living room and answered the phone.

"alo?" she said.

"mija?" a familiar voice rang through the speaker. her breath hitched in her throat.

it can't be.

"p-papi?" she managed to let out.

"it's me, i missed you dannita," he said.

the phone slipped from danna's hand as she felt her knees getting weak. she felt as if all of the oxygen was getting sucked out of her lungs.

"danna?" zabdiel called out to her, but she barely heard him. she started hyperventilating.

zabdiel rushed to her right on time to catch her in his arms. her hands were shaking as she was gasping for air.

rita rushed over when she heard the commotion. then she saw the phone hanging on the table. she grabbed it and pressed it to her ear.

"who is this?" she asked.

"it's me, ramon."

her instant response was hanging up.

he was supposed to be dead. her son was supposed to be dead. she was confused, but decided on focusing on her grandkids first.

"hey hey danna, look at me," zabdiel said, sitting the girl up properly as she leaned back onto the wall.

he grabbed her shaky hands into his.

"you're okay, you're safe," he said to her. "deep breaths," he said again, softly.

"just breathe and lean on me," he said, gently pulling her back into his arms. the girl had her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

somehow, that slowly calmed her down.

in ways nothing else ever has.

✎ᝰ┆𝐚𝐝𝐢 ♡

fluff-ish

so her dad is alive, hm