Chapter 27

I heard the air unwillingly escape my lungs before I even felt it. He moved faster than my eyes could see, faster than my mind could follow. One instant, he was standing across the room from me, the next, his fist was lodged in my gut. Then, I heard a series of cracks. My entire rib cage shattered as he threw a second punch into my chest. Before I felt any sort of pain, my head flew to the right, leading the rest of my body. He landed a powerful right hook directly onto my left cheek. I flew through the air, fell onto my right shoulder, and skidded on the ground. When I stopped skidding, he appeared in front of me and lifted me by my neck. He threw me towards the other side of the room, but before my body hit the floor, he appeared on the other side and threw a punch into my spine.

"Agh!" I felt my spine snap against his steel knuckles, and I fell to the floor, lying limp and helpless. He stood over me and stared. Then he let out a quiet, dark laugh.

"Look at you," he said smiling. "So helpless, useless. You acted so strong, you did so much, but in reality, you're weak, so weak." I clenched my teeth and my fists as I lied there on the ground, but my disconnected spine left me paralyzed.

"It's over..." I thought to myself as he slowly lifted his powerful foot over my head.

No. It's not.

"KRAAAAAWK!!!" I lost complete control of my body as it suddenly contorted. My spine bent backwards completely, my shoulder blades ripped out of my back, my shirt fell off in rags, my legs snapped and rearranged, I was transforming. Every muscle and bone in my body was rearranging itself, and into what, I did not know. Vaine paused for a moment, stunned at my uncontrollable possession. Then he quickly reacted and dropped his foot onto my head.

I stopped him.

I caught his foot with both of my hands, then looked up at him. My chest was covered in black feathers. My face was that of a ravens. My wings had grown immensely, and my arms and legs were exponentially more powerful. I had claws, a beak, and abyssal eyes. Yet I still mantained the body shape of a human. 

"KRAAWK!" I screeched as I dug my talons into his foot. He let out a groan and threw his foot to shake me off. His powerful leg managed to throw me off to the side of the room, but with my new, strong, nimble body, I flipped in the air and landed on my feet. As soon as my feet touched the ground, I pushed off and darted towards Vaine who was limping with his now torn foot. I tackled his giant body and flew out the window. We both fell out of the 7th floor and, with me still holding on to Vaine, I flew downwards with him below me.

An explosion of asphault. Every car alarm in the area went off. Water pipes and fire hydrants shattered. I flew Vaine straight into the ground with all of my power. Laid out in a crater with me on top of him, Vaine grabbed my wings and climbed out of his asphault grave. He slammed me into the ground. I picked myself up as he swung his right fist at me. I bent backward to dodge it, then I lunged at his face. My wings propelling me, I flew over Vaine but grabed his face as it passed underneath me, and pulled him backwards, causing him to fall powerfully. Although strong and fast, he was still heavy. He fell hard, and with my new form, I could move faster. I then straddled his chest, and threw a right hook into his face. Then my left hook. I lifted my right fist again, but he grabbed it and threw me off into the Corrector Corps building. I shattered the glass window and tumbled. I picked myself up and stepped through the broken window as he lifted himself off the ground. I noticed we began to accumulate an audience.

Not safe.

I looked around, trying to figure out what to do. I lost my focus. Vaine appeared in front of me and shattered my newly-formed rib cage and shot me backwards into the steel doors of the elevator. I dented it, then fell to the ground. He walked over, laughing.

"You can fight all you want, you can transform all you want, but you can't beat me. I am the perfect being. I am-" I got tired of hearing his shit. I shot towards his legs, flew in between them, and grabbed his ankles as I went through. I pulled them out from under him and he fell flat on his face. Then I ran outside to tell everyone to go.

"KRAAWK!" Oh shit. "KRAAAAWK!" I couldn't talk. The civilians stared at me, stunned, but they didn't run. My screeching actually attracted more attention. I panicked and froze. Then, Vaine came up behind me, silent and fast. Just before he grabbed me, I felt his dark prescence, but it was too late. He grabbed my wings, and lodged his foot against my back in between them. He tugged on my wings while pushing with his foot. "KRAAWK!!! KRAAWK!!!" I screamed. I felt my wings being torn out of their sockets. I felt each and every tendon and muscle connecting my back to the wings rip apart.

They gave.

"KRAAAGHHH!!! AAAGHWKKK!!!" My screams were a demonic mix of raven and human sounds. I couldn't control it. Blood erupted from the sockets in my back. Loose tissues and tendons hung exposed. My spine was dislocated. I fell to my knees, then slowly dropped onto my face. I lied there in the street, my consciousness slowly fading. I couldn't hear. It was as if a grenade went off right next to my head. I saw flashing red and blue lights coming down the street, getting brighter and brighter. A dull sound of sirens managed to slip past my deafened ears.

"Fuck... I've gotta... I can't let them get me... I gotta..."