Chapter 28

You know that moment when you wake up in a strange place, and your mind is still asleep so you don't know what time it is, where you are, or even who you are?

I felt a warm bed cradle my sore back. I felt thin blankets protect me. I heard a slow beep wake my ears. My eyes cracked open to see a room much too familiar. I lifted my head slowly.

"What..." I thought to myself. I was in the hospital. I laid my head back down and tried to remember what was the last thing that happened to me.  Then I heard the door open.

"Well, good to see you're finally awake," said the doctor. I looked at him.

"Wait... I know you..." I responded. He smiled.

"I was one of the doctors that tried to help your mother," he stated.

"Right... What happened, where am I..."

"I don't think I am going to have to tell you," he said smiling. He then walked over to the table next to my bed, picked up the remote, and switched on the television to a news broadcast.

"Last night was a night to remember as an indescribable conflict took place outside of the Corrector Corps facility. A monstrous, hulking mass was seen fighting against a sort of human/raven creature." At this point, the camera switched to footage of the fight as the newswoman continued to narrate. "Crowds of civilians accumulated to witness this event. Although there have been reports of nationwide mutations, creatures such as these still managed to stun the public as no one had before seen the strength and power that these two had portrayed. It is unknown why these creatures were fighting, but the battle seemed very one sided." It switched to Vaine ripping off my wings. "But throughout the entire fight, it seemed as though the raven-like one was trying to divert the hulking mass, and prevent the civilians from getting in the crossfire. When police arrived at the scene, the raven was found unconscious in the street and the monster had fled the scene. The police tried to apprehend the raven-man, but the civilians protected him." It switched to a picture of me lying unconscious but surrounded by the crowd of civilians stopping the police. "With these new events, an investigation is taking place against the Corrector Corporation, which, coincidentally, is unable to locate their founder, Vaine Soran. Also, a nationwide project has started. People in all cities of all ages have begun to help these new half-human hybrids assimilate back into society. After months of oppression, the actions of this raven-man has forced a new light to be shone upon these people that used to be just like us. No one knew his real name, but on the way to the hospital, he reverted back to human form, where a few nurses and doctors recognized him. He had no name, but they knew what to call him. DarkWing."