Chapter 1 - The Call

Have you ever had a moment that leaves you feeling... feeling like your entire world is falling apart around you, and you are left so shocked, so helpless, that you just feel numb? It leaves you feeling like who you used to be died in that moment and left a destroyed shell in its place, like you'll never be that person ever again, like you're forced to go on feeling half alive.

"I'm on my way. I'll be on the first flight I can get on." I hung up the phone, threw my notes into my briefcase, and ran out of the lecture hall mid-lesson. I didn't even care about anatomy and physiology, my parents were the ones pushing me to become a doctor. Me? I wanted to be a world class fighter. I had been training in Tae-Kwon-Do ever since I could remember. Got my black belt when I was around 8 years old. I can fight as easily as I can breathe.

The sound of the doors bursting open bellowed through the college auditorium. I must've looked mental. It was pouring rain, but I didn't care. I sprinted from the lecture hall, my tie flailing over my shoulder, my brown leather briefcase bouncing in my hand. I ran out of the campus and towards the airport.

My college was in the middle of the city. Parallel-parked cars lining the streets, bikes flying down the sidewalks, everyone having somewhere to go. I fell into the crowd. I was that crazy person in a disheveled suit that startles you as they run past, leaving you think to yourself, "Where's the fire?" until I was finally able to stop a taxi. He screeched to a halt as I essentially threw myself in front of him. "Sir? Would you like a towel?" asked the driver as I fell soaking wet into the backseat.

"Airport," I forced out as I was gasping for air.

It wasn't long before we reached the airport, but it gave me a chance to catch my breath. Before the taxi had even managed to stop moving, I had thrown the driver a twenty, opened the door, and jumped out. I ran into the airport.

I was a complete mess. Rain dripping off my black blazer and dress pants, a dark blue button-down dress shirt half untucked with a missing top button, loosened black and navy striped tie hanging lower than my blazer, and black converse leaving a wet trail. The airport was surprisingly empty.

The smooth-granite information desks always impressed me, as well as the thick glass walls that made up the building. There were escalators in every direction, an elevator with each one, and roped off areas intended to distinguish one line from another, but instead just providing a maze for the eyes. I approached the first open ticketing counter I could find.

"Sorry sir, but the only open flight to Druid Hills, Georgia leaves tomorrow at 2:40pm."

"But you don't understand, my mom! I need to see her! Please! She only has a few days! Please!!!" I slammed my fist into the table. "Please..." Before I knew it, I found myself breaking down in front of this complete stranger, trying to wipe tears from my eyes with my soaked sleeve, a lot of good that did. What the doctor had said on the phone had finally hit me.

"I'll see what we can do, sir."  The typing sound her keyboard made was strangely calming. It meant possibility. It meant hope. It meant there was a chance. "There is a flight leaving in 2 hours, sir. It is full, but due to your current circumstances, I put you at the head of the standby list. You should go wait at Gate D29. I wish you the best of luck."

The next hour and a half of my life felt like a dream. I was aware of what my body was doing, but I was lost in my thoughts.

"What if I lose her... What if there's nothing I can do... What if... What if... What if it's her ti-"

"Corrector Corps has just announced that they have concluded human trials this week. Starting tomorrow, Corrector Corps will begin nation-wide distribution of their famed Messiah Gene."