12

Finally, a different sound- though it's low and long, it's a sound unlike the one's we're making.

*VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU*

It sounds far away, but it gets closer....

*VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU*

I force my eyes open to see a blurry shape on the water, approaching us.

Finally....now I can die and forget this pain....if only this suit....
would let me....
die....

....

....

"Captain- what are these?" I ask him, gazing over the edge of the bow.
"I haven't a clue...." he replies, cutting the engine.
There's strange cylinders in the water made of glass, topped by metal caps with hand railings, and there's old, malformed diver's suits on top of them. I peer closer, trying to see into the cylinders, and I hear a faint tapping noise and muffled voices....

Childrens' voices....

"Captain- there are children in those things!" I alert him, and he gives me a confused look, coming up beside me to see for himself.

"Good God, man- well, get the ropes! We'll tow them to shore!"

Just as I have the rope and have started swimming to each odd little vessel, tying the rope to the railings, a rush of bubbles erupts in the near distance, immediately followed by another of these things- it's smaller, and all-metal, much less sturdy looking and clean. In fact, by the way it bobbed and rolled, it was likely leaking.

"Hurry up, boy! That one's gonna sink!" Captain barked at me, and I turned and swam as fast as I could towards it.

Indeed, when I tied the rope to it, I could hear gurgling from it. Once it's tied, I swim just so quickly to the last of the decently floating ones and tie the rope to it firmly.

"I'll stay with the end of the rope, Captain!" I shout back towards him, hauling myself up onto the deck. He gives me a thumbs up as he starts towing us.

When we start moving, one if the diving suits beside me groans angrily and shifts, the window of its helmet lighting up red but quicky flickering back to the dimn yellow that it was at first. I startle and halt my breath, watching the suit.

Perhaps I imagined it? These suits....they don't look right. And this whole situation is odd and unsettling....

Nonetheless, we tow these strange things back to shore.