Chapter 17: How Are You, KonekoChan?

my efforts are pale;

the undersides of leaves

the fluttering of moths' wings

the fragility of life,

compared to your beauty

and grace.

- quote from Pai-san, poem #3

"Hey, Lettuce?"

"Hmm?" said Lettuce, still scanning through one of the books.

Ichigo paused. "Umm...well, I was just wondering...why do you like Pai-san? What is it about him that you're attracted to?"

Lettuce looked up, startled.

"I'm sorry," Ichigo said hastily. "If you don't want to say-"

"Oh, it's fine, I'm just surprised."

"Because, looking at this," Ichigo guestured toward the piece of paper in her hand, "this really beautiful poem, it's pretty obvious that there's a lot of things he likes about you."

Lettuce blushed. "Hai...well, let's see...I have to admit, the thing that I like the most about Pai is his...well, strength, and his composure."

Ichigo blinked. Lettuce went on to explain, "When I'm near him, I feel so safe, because he's so strong and secure. He makes good decisions and he hardly ever loses his temper. And he looks strong too - well, I mean to say," she added quickly, while Ichigo giggled, "I do like the way he looks, not that it matters so much one way or the other...I mean, well, I suppose it does, not that I pay particular attention most of the time, though it's not that I don't appreciate it...oh dear..."

"I get it," Ichigo said, muffling her laugh a little. "He's good-looking. Okay. What else?"

"His words," Lettuce said, smiling. "He speaks so eloquently."

"Kind of like you," Ichigo said. "And I would guess that he reads a lot too. I could see that-" she added, the image popping into her head "-the two of you sitting together reading a classic. Aww, it's so kawaii, nya!" Ichigo, finally, found a true smiling lighting her face as she beamed at Lettuce. Lettuce saw it as well, and smiled back

"That does sound...wonderful," she admitted. Then she glanced at the clock, and jumped. "Oh no! I'm late! Oh, we spent so much time talking, I forgot about the-"

Ring ring

Lettuce jumped again as her cell phone started ringing. She answered it, looking slightly harassed.

"Shirogane-san?" Lettuce's eyes went wide. "What? An emergency?" She glanced over at Ichigo. "She's right here - hai - hai, okay." Lettuce held the small phone out to Ichigo. "Shirogane-san wants to talk to you."

Gingerly, Ichigo took the phone from Lettuce. There was a cold feeling in her stomach since Lettuce had said "emergency." "Hello?"

"Hey, Ichigo, I need you and Lettuce to come to the Café right away."

Ichigo's stomach dropped. "What? Why?"

"I'll explain when you get here. Hurry up, we don't have any time to lose."

"Is it - the enemy?" Ichigo asked.

"Hai. I'll see you in a few." Ryou hung up on her. Ichigo closed the phone and handed it back to Lettuce.

"We're both supposed to go," Ichigo said, her eyes wide. "It's the enemy aliens. They must be up to something." Ichigo shuddered as she remembered the monstrous, reptilian creatures. What's more, she hadn't made a successful transformation yet. She hadn't even regained any of her cat-like abilities. How was she supposed to fight? What did Ryou expect her to do?