Prologue

Scarlet POV

I stared at our family's portrait that I held in my hand. I gently moved my finger and touched my dad's face on the portrait as if I could feel his skin. He was holding onto me while his other arm rested on mom's shoulder, pulling her closer. A big smile was plastered on our faces in that picture. It proved the happiness that we had back there which was slowly being snatched away from us day by day till it was nothing left. Dad had gone to a better place which I believed so and mom was not the same person anymore after dad passed away. I'm just a girl with nothing, not even a little happiness.

I put the A4 size portrait in my luggage with my other belonging. I closed the luggage and glanced over the whole room to check if there is anything that I need to take with me. Sadly, this place used to be my home with so many memories but it looked so different now. It doesn't belong to me anymore or I should say that I don't fit into this place anymore.

The commotion near my room made me wiped my tears which I didn't notice it flows on my cheeks earlier. I placed the luggage on the floor and gazed at the door where someone was standing there.

"Scarlet, I know you can take care of yourself. You are a big girl now. It's time for you to be independent."

"Don't worry, mom. I will not cause you any trouble. I will get out of your life if this is what you want. I will give you the privacy to enjoy your life with your new husband." I said with hurt feeling aroused me.

"He is your stepfather, Scarlet. Mind your language." She scolded me with an angry glare but it doesn't affect me. I wasn't scared of her, but I was rather disappointed.

"I never claimed him to be my stepfather. I only have one father in my life, and he is dead. He is not here anymore to take care of me." I hold my tears that threatened to wet my cheeks one more time. I don't want to cry in front of her. I refused to show her my weak side.

"This is the reason why I prefer you to stay away from us. You will be the trouble in our life. I wanted to forget about the sad memories with your dad and start a new life." Her confession digs a deep hole in my heart. It sounded like I was someone whom she picked up from the street.

I zipped my luggage and dragged it to the door. She followed me from behind but I didn't spare her any glance. I was really disappointed with her decision. What kind of mom defended her husband that almost molested his own stepdaughter? I wasn't being rude for no reason.

She didn't trust me instead she trusts her new husband. I don't want to put my life at risk by staying with them, so I decided to move out of the house. I take a look at the house for the last time before continuing my steps; it was a place full of memories with my late father. I missed him and I always do. I never thought a day like this will come; me being kicked out of my own house.

I glanced emotionless at my mom for the last time. Instead of feeling sad, relief was evident on her face. Deep down, I still pray for her happiness even though she ruined mine.

"We will never meet again, mom since this is what you wish. You lose me over your new family." I muttered inaudibly and walking out of the house to the new city to start a new life, on my own.

********************