Chapter 30

Spring Sunshine

Sasuke headed towards the Hokage Tower swiftly. He needed advice immediately. As a man who failed many times in his life, he wanted to make sure the next step in his life was the correct path. Everything had to be perfect. He landed swiftly on the roof and looked up at the stone faces. It was hard to believe that a major battle took place here not too long ago. The village seemed just as lively as before, if not more so. The citizens were rebuilding the infrastructure swiftly and working together as if nothing happened. Sasuke wondered if this was what it was like after Pain destroyed the village all those years ago. It was strange to think that when he returned during the war, the village was already rebuilt. He thought of his brother and whether or not he'd be pleased with its resiliency. He smirked, thinking that he would be proud of its unyielding strength. The will of fire burned strong in everyone, including himself. He only wished Itachi could be there for him right now.

"Sasuke?" Kakashi asked, standing on roof with Gai sensei next to him in his wheelchair.

Sasuke looked awkwardly between the two of them. "Kakashi...I, uh...I need to..." He cursed under his breath; he was starting to ramble like Naruto here. Still, he knew with Gai sensei nearby he wouldn't be able to ask his question with the right conviction.

Kakashi seemingly understood and gave his comrade a friendly smile.

Gai sensei looked back at him and grinned widely, giving him the thumbs up. "Say no more, Kakashi. I can tell that this young man is burning with the flames and passion of youth! However, sometimes a man needs a deep heart to heart with his mentor, just like with Lee and I. Take care, young Sasuke. Let the power of youth explode!" He cackled, wheeling away down a ramp leading into the building.

Sasuke sighed, trying to recover from that outburst. Why did he have to be so intense all the time?

"So? What did you want to talk about?" Kakashi asked.

Sasuke looked away, blushing.

"Oh, I see. So, we're having that conversation, eh? Well, I knew that you and Sakura were growing much closer in your relationship." He paused for a moment, then looked directly into Sasuke's eyes. "Well my pupil, when a man and woman love each other very much-"

"Not that conversation!" Sasuke cut him off. He was just as bad as Gai sensei. "Although it is about Sakura" he sighed.

"Well, why don't you tell me what's on your mind" Kakashi smiled.

***

Sakura left her parents house feeling mortified and happy at the same time. On the one hand, she was delighted that Sasuke seemed to have won them over but on the other hand, she couldn't help feeling that she'd caused him to worry again. Her parents were right, she was still acting like a child, always running off when things got tough. She looked ahead into the sunlight above and told herself she wouldn't run away anymore. Those days were over. From now on, she'd walk by Sasuke's side.

"Hey, Sakura!" a familiar voice called.

"Ino, what's up?" she smiled.

"Oh, nothing. I guess you could say I'm a girl in love though" she sighed, twirling a sunflower between her fingers.

"I see. So, things are going well with you and Sai?" Sakura smiled.

"Yeah, he's great. And besides that, I think he may even be more handsome than Sasuke!"

"I don't know about that" Sakura chuckled. "I'm surprised you can handle his personality, though."

"Hey, that's not very nice! I happen to love everything about him. He just needs a little encouragement. I guess you think you're all that, now that you've snagged Sasuke."