Chapter Five

Matt was driving to school with Jen and this time she didn't drop him off at the usual spot. She pulled in to the student car park, and everyone was staring at them. All of Jen's friends came over to talk to her so Matt subtly tried to slip away.

"Where do you think you're going dork" Owen yelled

Matt stopped dead in his tracks, he could take the abuse from Owen or run away and hope he forgets about him by second period. Matt chose the second option, he didn't exactly run but he sped walked out of there as fast as he could. He found Liam in the quad.

"You alright Matt"
"Let's just say Owen isn't to happy that Jen is driving me to school"

The two boys met up with Aubrey and Ben at Aubrey's locker, the two of them were debating about whether or not Todd slept with Ms Sullivan.

"Guys this gross, can't we talk about something else" I pointed out
"How about we talk about the fact that I saw Aubrey walking with Jen to class yesterday" Ben remarked

Matt was surprised, what was Aubrey doing with Jen. He did realise that hypothetically if Jen and Aubrey became friends it could give him a chance to get to know Jen better.

"It wasn't anything really" Aubrey exclaimed " we just talked a bit at lunch, that's all"
Ben's face lit up "People don't you know how great this is, two of my friends have an in with Jen Cooper"
Aubrey and Matt interrupted each other
"You classify me as your friend"
"Ben I don't have an in with Jen Cooper, I've barely spoken to her"
"Aubrey, you've hung out with us practically every day since you and Liam got together, so I guess we're kinda friends and Matt, you could easily strike up a conversation with Jen, just talk to her it's not that hard".

Ben's words slightly hurt Matt, he didn't know what it was like to be constantly scared of people, hell if Matt had the choice of being in a room full of people or a room full of snakes. He would pick the snakes.

Fortunately by second period Owen seemed to have forgotten about Matt and was messing around with his friends. Mr Jacobs got everyone's attention,

"I'm giving you a group assignment that will be due in two weeks, and since I don't really feel like doing something nice for you kids today I'm going to pick the partners"

Everyone groaned, Matt hated history assignments, it was his weakest subject. He was not looking forward to having to work with someone he didn't know, the only person he talked to in the class was Ben. Mr Jacobs announced that he was doing the partners alphabetically, so that means that Jen and Matt were going to be working together.

They met up after class and it was extremely awkward but luckily Jen said something
"Meet me in the student car park and we can talk about the assignment on the way home from school"
"Are you sure you want me to go to the student carpark, where everyone can see"
Jen nodded and smiled as she walked away.

Ben was having a field day when he found out that Matt and Jen were going to be working together. He was a little pissed off though because he got pared with Todd.

The rest of the day flew by for Matt and before he knew it he was standing in front of Jen's car waiting for her. His breathing was out of control but he kept reassuring himself that it was just a conversation and he could do it. Jen got to the car a few minutes later and they got in.

"Hi Matt" she said
"Hey"