Chapter 33 - The best laid plans

Dedicated to Parogar, because Word is a jerk and why the hell not. 

---

Chapter 33 - The best laid plans

---

Tayne’s boots barely hit the sand of the arena floor before he cupped his hands over his mouth.

“Verdrana! Alicia!”

The blonde and brunette lowered their swords and turned to face the noise. Verdrana raised a tentative hand in greeting. Tayne glanced around as he approached, searching with borderline desperation for Skye’s shorter figure.

He crossed the arena quickly, Jesse just behind him.

“Where’s Skye? Did she train with you?”

The fire in his muscles was barely noticeable. While grateful, it didn’t make sense. They’d felt like he’d never stand again after reaching the Queen’s chambers. Now they were strong, willing to co-operate and most importantly, they wanted to find Skye just as much as he did.

“Yea, she did. We finished about...” said Verdrana, looking to Alicia who shrugged. She turned back to Tayne, “...half an hour ago? She dismissed herself, saying she felt tired.”

Tired. That wasn’t like Skye at all. She’d drop dead before admitting she was tired.

Tayne thought fast.

The King didn’t know Skye well enough to judge her stubborn brand of strength. He’d accept that she’d merely retreated to her quarters. That was assuming whatever had caused her a problem in the first place wouldn’t get in the way, but he’d work through that when Skye could tell him.

Was half an hour enough time for Skye to get to the Queen, or did he have a solid alibi for the Sentinel? Could he prove her innocent this easily?

The image of the Advisor came unbidden to his mind, and he suddenly knew that an alibi didn’t matter anymore. Somehow, the Advisor would twist it and mutilate the situation to make her guilt apparent.

Tayne ran a hand through his hair. I need to find her. Now. “Where did she go?”

It was Alicia who replied. “Her room.” Tayne turned to leave, but she caught him, stepping in his path.  

“Tayne? Skye was acting odd, mumbling something about Naisha, you run off like a mad man and return a little while later running like the Hunter’s after you? What’s going on?”

Tayne only had one answer for that. “I don’t know.” When Alicia didn’t move, he added, “Keep looking for her -- spread the Whisper. If you find her, get her to my office. Protect her. Do you understand?”

Both women nodded. Verdrana’s hand went to her sword and her face hardened.

“We’ll stand by you, Tayne. No matter what.”

Tayne placed a hand on her shoulder, grateful for the support.

“I know, Ana. I just hope it won’t come to that. Now go -- spread the Whisper.”

They ran off with a second nod in opposite directions, fingers sweeping anything remotely silver in their path. Tayne turned to Jesse.

“Jess, I want you to go and seal Alguarde’s gate.”

The conflict was evident in the young Silverborn’s eyes. Tayne imagined the thoughts passing through Jesse’s mind. Was he being sent off, out of the way? Wasn’t he trusted to stay by his leader’s side, to find Skye before danger caught her in its grasp?