Chapter 24 - Kill to save

---

Chapter 24 - Kill to save

---

Murmurs from the crowd arose as the Queen spoke.

They were a dull reflection of the cheering that greeted Skye as she’d entered the arena. Much like the women who’d passed her earlier, they whispered to each other, faces hidden behind hands. Unable to hear what they were saying, the tips of Skye’s ears burned as her imagination ran wild.

Tayne gave Skye a hasty glance before returning the Queen’s gaze once more.

“I... I’m not entirely sure why that would be necessary to put your mind to rest, majesty,” said Tayne. The words were respectful and his voice was restrained. The underlying tension in his tone was the only thing to give his true feelings away. 

Queen Alice raised a regal eyebrow in response.

“Ah, but it is not your place to question my decisions, Silverborn. I act for the good of Alguarde, the good of humanity. The elf will complete the trial of soul if you wish to present her as a master of blades.”

To his credit, Tayne remained reverent to the royal. “I understand, majesty. I merely wonder what it is that unsettles you so about Sentinel Skye.”

He inclined his head deeply, and Skye was tempted to do the same.

No, she decided. I will not be cowed by this... whatever it is.

The queen’s intentions were not as honourable as she claimed. Skye lifted her gaze from the ground and watched the woman’s aura flicker. Dark colours spanned its length from time to time, before disappearing beneath waves of shimmering red.

A moment later, a throbbing sensation made itself known at the back of Skye’s skull and she was forced to let the aura fade. She stood steady, refusing to bring a hand to her aching head. Summoning a person’s essence into the physical form was something she was yet to master. She clenched a fist and blinked in rapid succession several times before the ache dulled.

Queen Alice’s eyes narrowed as she glared at Tayne. She lifted a manicured hand and gestured to where the King sat, watching the byplay between the two with an indeterminable expression on his face.

 “My husband and I have been talking in private recently. We have, among other things, come to the conclusion that the elf may not be entirely trustworthy,” she said.

Tayne opened his mouth to speak. Alice lifted her hand sharply, pointing her sceptre at the Silverborn before her as if she held the power of a deity in her grasp.

 “Silence! I will not be interrupted! Now, Silverborn,” she said as she stepped forward to the front of the pavilion, sceptre still pointed accusingly at Tayne. “You said in your mission report that she has been marked by the corruption, and by the master, am I correct?” Not waiting for a reply, she turned to Skye. “Show me, Sentinel. Show me the mark.” Her eyes dared Skye to refuse.

Unable to see a way out, Skye adjusted her armour until the edge of the mark was visible on her shoulder. She met the glare of Alice unwaveringly. “You see now, I stand against the corruption, majesty,” said Skye, adopting Tayne’s tone. “He marked me. He tried to claim me, and failed. If you--“

“It does not change the fact, young Sentinel, that you have been marked. We have all seen proof,” said the Queen as she gestured to the crowd, “that the wards are not as secure as they once were. And I must say that until you came, Sentinel Skye, this was not the case.”

There is was again. The unmistakable dark colours spiking across the Queen’s aura. The pain flared in the back of Skye’s head again and she gritted her teeth, determined to remain balanced.