Chapter 21

They didn't have to wait long.

Not even fifteen minutes later, a bang sounded on the doors of the throne room. Amity jerked her head up and stared as they blew open with a blinding spear of light that flew straight at Belos. He merely shifted to the side to avoid it.

When the light faded, Amity made out the shape of Eda, floating a couple feet off the ground. Her face was etched with pure fury, her teeth bared in a menacing snarl. Even Amity couldn't help but be intimidated by the frenzy written across the Owl Lady's features. Once the light had disappeared completely Eda dropped to the floor, panting, and stared up at the Emperor and his Coven head. She hadn't seemed to notice Luz and Amity yet.

"I see you got my invitation to a witches' duel," Lilith said coldly.

Eda didn't reply verbally. She gathered up another barrage of fire and flung the flames in every direction, not even flinching as one hit a pillar and crashed to the ground a few inches away.

"Eda!" Luz yowled. She banged her fists against the bubble, but the thick magic barrier muffled her cries.

Lilith shot her own blast of blue magic at her sister. "Where is she?" Eda spat as she ducked underneath it.

Lilith waved her hand dismissively at the space next to the throne where Amity and Luz were trapped. "They're safe."

Eda's eyes went wide with shock when she saw the bubble. "You took Amity too?"

"It wasn't hard. She follows the human around everywhere like a sad puppy."

"Give them back."

"Oh, you can have them back. I don't particularly need them for anything important. You just need to give yourself to the Coven nicely, and we'll ensure that no harm comes to the human and her little pet."

"Bonehead back there's awfully quiet," Eda mocked. "Is he making his Coven leader do all his dirty work now? That's a new low." She snorted. "You've always looked down on me because I'm wild, sister. But all that means is that I've worked harder than the both of you combined!" She slammed the butt of her staff into the floor and the shape of a great fiery owl rose behind her and spread its wings.

Amity gasped. If they all hadn't been in mortal danger, the sight would have been majestic.

Then the two witches fought. Blue against golden, the owl against the raven. The Emperor on his throne looked almost bored.

"It'll be over soon, it'll be over soon, it'll be over soon," Luz whispered to herself. Amity offered her a comforting touch to her hand.

A particularly strong burst of magic hit Eda and she fell to the ground with a screech. She sat on her hands and knees for a moment, gasping for breath. When she looked up, she met Lilith's cool gaze evenly.

"It's sad to see you slowing down, sister," Lilith murmured. "You poor thing. The curse must really be taking its toll."

Even from a distance Amity could see the darkness in Eda's gem spreading. Eda didn't have much time left in this form, and judging from the devastated look on Luz's face, Luz knew that too. Amity's heart ached for her girlfriend. It must be so horrifying to have to go through this twice. I can't imagine...

"I don't know if the curse is the reason I haven't blasted you to shreds yet," Eda replied. "But if it is, then how pathetic are you that with Belos at your back you still can't best me at my worst?" With these words, she released her most powerful-looking attack yet, a dozen flashing lightning bolts that filled the room with scorching energy. It was useless, though- Lilith put up a shield around herself, not unlike the one that Amity and Luz were being contained in, and the magic deflected off the sides, leaving only a few small cracks in the glass.