Chapter 6

A blast of white magic shot by Amity and scorched the grass behind her, and she leapt to the side to narrowly avoid being hit. "Watch out, Luz!" she called.

Luz grinned sheepishly and kicked dirt over the massive light glyph she'd drawn in the ground. "Sorry!"

"It's okay. Maybe that's enough for one day." Though they'd only been practicing together for two hours, Luz (with Amity's help) had quickly been able to figure out how to draw ice and fire glyphs, so she was weeks ahead of schedule. "You've got more than two spells now, so you should be all set for your entrance exam."

Luz pouted. "If Eda ever enrolls me."

"She will." Amity hoped she didn't sound too convinced.

In the two weeks that had passed since Amity had revealed her secret to the twins, she'd spent most of her time attempting to strengthen the bond between her and Luz- and by extension, her and Willow. Amity wasn't a solid part of Luz's friend group yet by any means, but she spent plenty of time with Luz one-on-one. Even Willow seemed to have developed a grudging respect for her. She still felt a bit of guilt over the fact that she'd been unable to help Willow get into the plant track thus far, but she reminded herself that Willow didn't know any different, and there would be plenty of chances to help Willow without endangering all of Hexside.

"That sounds like a good idea, though," Luz said. "Maybe we should get a snack or something. I bet I could whip something up! I don't know what any of the ingredients in Eda's kitchen actually are, so what could go wrong? Just gotta mix stuff together..."

Amity pictured the jars of eyeballs, tongues, and otherwise unidentifiable substances she'd seen in the Owl House before, and felt her stomach do a backflip. "No, thanks."

Luz shrugged. "Suit yourself." She continued to prattle off ideas on how they should spend their remaining free time as Amity followed Luz inside. "Maybe I could show you this cool thing I have called YouTube," she went on. "It's this awesome app on my phone where I can watch videos about cats and people debunking Azura theories and compilations of people lip syncing to pop music while in cosplay..."

Of course, Amity already knew what YouTube was, but the thought of spending the rest of the morning watching videos with Luz was enough to make her blush. They'd have to sit together on the couch, and lean in close to each other, possibly close enough to touch , in order to see Luz's tiny phone screen... she wasn't sure she could handle that before it was even noon.

The house seemed strangely silent as she stepped into the living room. "Where is everyone?"

"Eda and King went to the market just before you got here." Luz sat on the couch and patted the space next to her, clearly intending for Amity to join her. "Usually I go with them, but since you were coming over to help me train, Eda let me stay behind."

As soon as Amity sat down, Luz pulled out her phone, and Amity's stomach fluttered. I guess we're doing this. Then she silently scolded herself. You're still at least a few inches apart. Keep it together.

She was scarcely aware of the way Luz brushed their arms together when she pulled her YouTube up. It was nothing compared to, say, dancing at Grom or getting carried to the healer's office after the grudgby match with Boscha, but it was still something. Every time Luz's skin touched hers she swore she could feel a current of electricity run through her entire body.

They sat like that for a while, scrolling through pointless videos. Amity especially loved the ones of cats. (Human-realm cats were so weird! Where was their firebreath?) She would have loved to stay there forever, so tantalizingly close to Luz, but halfway through a video of something Luz called a "tick tock" the door to the Owl House swung open with a bang on the wall. Amity winced when Hooty's shriek pierced her eardrums.