Chapter 13

"Luz!" The thoughts Amity was forming of escaping fled her mind as she ran forward to scoop up her friend. As she cradled Luz's head to her chest, she spotted the flames that rose in the hallway, licking the walls and engulfing the lockers. What- how? The fire was everywhere, consuming everything, as if it had been burning for hours. Students dashed through the hallway, wailing in fear and searching frantically for an exit. "Luz, what did you do?"

"It was only one fire spell," Luz rasped. "How was I supposed to know the curtain was flammable?"

"You're such an idiot ," Amity snapped. For once, she didn't mean it playfully. She glanced around at the three detention students, who were frozen in shock and fear. The professor was nowhere to be seen. "Viney," she said, "make sure everyone gets outside as fast as possible. Hopefully the fire will kill the basilisk before we have to. I'll take Luz to the healer." She hoped that since the healing building was built so far away from the main school, it would still be untouched and unburnt.

To her surprise, Viney shook her head. "I'll get Luz to the healer. You stay here so that you can fight the basilisk if you need to. Try to lure it outside. I know that you're really good with magic, right? If this thing really exists, we stand the best chance if you're the one fighting it."

"But you're a beastkeeper."

"I'm also a healer," Viney reminded her. "I'll take care of Luz until we get to the professionals."

Amity huffed. "Never mind. We can't afford to argue about it." In an admittance of defeat, she passed Luz's limp body over to Viney. Viney took Luz in her arms and held her close. "Please keep her safe," Amity whispered.

"I will." Viney's eyes clouded with sorrow. "This looks bad, Amity."

You didn't need to tell me that. "Then let's go. We'll climb out the windows in here and make sure everyone else is getting out safely."

"Don't try," Jerbo said flatly when Amity crossed the room and began tugging on the window's iron bars. "They're magic. We pulled on those things for hours every day last semester. They're totally student-proof."

Amity whirled to face him. "What? So you're telling me we have to go through the school? You're going to get us killed! There has to be a way to disable the spell-"

"We've got no choice. I'm sorry."

"Fine, then. But getting Luz outside takes first priority." She spared one more look at the small, crumpled form of Luz in Viney's arms, and instantly felt tears welling up behind her lower eyelids. "I don't care what or who we sacrifice in the process."

That remark seemed to sting Viney, and she opened her mouth to protest. Jerbo nudged her arm gently. "She didn't mean it. She's grieving, Viney."

Viney looked as if she wanted to say something anyway, but she clearly thought better of herself. "Okay," she said finally. "Let's go."

The students ducked quickly into the hallway. Scorching heat hit Amity's face and made her eyes water. There was a significantly large flame engulfing one of their exits- the plant wing- and students clad in green tumbled out of it like a fast-flowing river, most of them coughing or yelling in terror.

One fire spell did all this? How has it not been controlled yet?

Amity let herself watch the plant students escape before she realized there was one witch she hadn't seen run out with the others.

"Go on without me," she instructed the group. "Follow the plant track kids. I'll catch up in a moment." I hope.

"I don't know what you think you're doing, but stop trying to play the hero, Amity," Viney protested. "You'll only get yourself hurt."