Chapter 10

"Welcome to the Bonesborough Public Library!"

Watching Luz's eyes light up with excitement when she saw the inside of the library for the very first time was worth every scrap of anxiety about the night that was worming around in Amity's stomach. Luz didn't seem to know where to run first- to the shelf with the flying books, to the tables that displayed expensive-looking crystal balls, to the Demon Decimal System filing cabinet in the corner. So, she turned in an erratic circle for a moment, squealing with joy.

"This is incredible," Lus gasped. "A magic library! With magic and books! Woooow!"

"Certainly plenty of that around here," Amity agreed.

Luz stopped circling. "It looks kind of... closed, though."

Amity frowned, surveying the dark lobby and taking in the complete silence of the vast space. Maybe tonight hadn't been the best night to bring Luz. She'd wanted Luz to see the Wailing Star, of course, but the best library experience was that of the daytime, when you could actually check out books and see what a magical library really was like. "Well, I can always bring you back later. Besides, what I have to show you tonight has nothing to do with the books out here."

Luz pointed to a poster that hung next to the drop-off desk. "You mean that thing? The star?"

"Well, not just that-"

Twin gasps came from behind Amity. "Are you gonna show her your secret hideout, Mittens?"

Amity whirled around. "I ought to slap you," she told her siblings. For a moment she'd forgotten that they were there. She'd been too wrapped up in the adorableness of Luz's wonder to notice their steady presence hovering behind her.

They didn't react to her threat. Ed snickered while Em wore a bemused expression that seemed to say something along the lines of this has something to do with that weird story about time travel you made up, doesn't it?

"You have a secret hideout?" Luz asked enthusiastically.

Amity blushed. "I prefer to call it my reading nook, but... yes."

"It's where she writes in her diary," Ed said. He made his voice go high-pitched to impersonate his little sister. "Dear Diary, I wonder how I can possibly annoy my poor siblings today. Maybe I'll tell their Illusions teacher that they were cutting class to eat the Hex Mix in the bathroom that they illegally shook out of the vending machines. Ah yes, a wonderful and sound plan. Also, I still have a massive crush on-"

"Edric!" Amity barked. She was glad she wasn't facing Luz- she didn't want Luz to notice how tomato-red she'd suddenly gotten. "That's enough of that. Let's just show Luz around, okay?" She took a deep breath, and, confident that most of the redness had faded from her cheeks, turned back to Luz. "I'm sorry about these losers."

"Wow, what a way to introduce us," Em said.

"Is that how Luz is going to know us forever? Losers?" Ed joked.

"Fine, I'll introduce you formally. " Amity waved a dismissive hand at the twins. "Luz, these are Emira and Edric. They're Illusionist juniors and they're massive pains. Em and Ed, this is my human friend Luz. Please be nice to her. I am literally begging you."

Em smiled. "Hi, Luz. We've heard soooo much about you."

"Oh," Luz said. "Like what?"

"Like that Amity has-"

Amity waved a finger and Em's mouth snapped shut. "If you're wondering," she told Luz, "they're only here because they knew how to get in and I didn't." She had to admit to herself that she really missed Future Edric and Emira.