Chapter 9

(Ellie's POV)

His embrace felt like it was draining the ocean I drowned in.

It won't last.

I felt him rubbing my back in a rhythm, starting at the top and going down and back again, in strong, affecting strokes. My breathing calmed down, and overall, my sobs quieted into annoying sniffles.

I pulled away from him slightly, just to get a good look at his face, "Won't your parents get mad at you for ditching school and coming here?" Damn, my voice sounds shitty.

He tensed at my mentioning of his parents. Crap.

"Ellie, they-" I saw the look on his face, and I already knew what was going on.

"No," I whispered, feeling him nod as I let my head drop. I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"They won't stop fighting. Hell, they don't even pay attention to Lucy and I anymore. If anything, cutting class will grab their attention."

I instantly felt guilty, "But...It's my fault."

Jason retaliated against me strongly, "No! Don't think that! I went after you because I wanted to, because you needed me."

I sighed, leaning my head against his chest.

They weren't at the funeral. Neither was Jason or Lucy. I would have seen them. What in the hell?

I couldn't bite my tongue to hold it back, "When did your parents last keep contact with mine?"

He looked taken aback at first, but then he realized it with the look on his face.

"After you and your mom left, my parents still kept contact with your dad. My mom kept contact with your mom, but after the first two years they began to drift apart." He sounded sad, despaired to the lowest.

And I knew exactly why.

"Your parents started fighting around that time then." It wasn't a question.

He nodded, and embraced me for his own support. He was tense and rigid from even the slightest mention of his parents. I could imagine what it must be like, coming home from another day at school, to hear your parents screaming at each other from the tops of their lungs. Everyday, I would come home from a tormenting day in middle school, to hear my own parents screaming at each other as if it were the end of the world.

I pulled out of Jason's embrace completely, and stood up, rushing over to my mirror. My eyes were bloodshot, so I darkened my eyeliner a bit and reapplied some mascara to create a quick smoky haze around my eyes. I cleaned up my face, combed my hair, and threw on my leather jacket.

"Where are you going?" Jason stood tall, towering over my five foot six figure. I could easily make out his height. About six foot two.

"We are going to your house, and I'm making sure you don't get into trouble," I croaked, grabbing my keys. I descended the stairs quickly, and walked over to Zoey and Lily. Zoey smiled big at me, earning a small one from me.

"How are you doing?" she asked me, concern in her eyes.

"I...C-can you watch over Lily while I talk to his mom?" I stuttered.

"Of course. I managed to get my homework done while I watched her, and Sal's on her way with a couple of pizzas. Don't worry, I've got it all covered here."

My eyes widened, "Thank you so much, Zoey."

She smiled, leaving me to drag Jason out the door.

"Ellie, do you have any idea what you're doing?" he freaked. I turned around, and gave him a look. He instantly shut up, and I grabbed his huge hand as I reached his front door.