Chapter 3

Sometimes I hated standing at five foot six. I know it's an average height, but when you're a little taller than some girls and you have the ability to trip on yourself then it's not exactly the most flattering thing in the world.

My disastrous descending towards the ground seemed to go by quite slowly. As I was inching towards the bottom, I closed my eyes and waited for the crash. It wasn't the first time I tripped so dramatically in public. 

But it never came. Either I'm unconscious, or I caught myself.

I was surrounded in a blanket of warmth, and it confused the hell out of me. I opened my eyes and coincidentally, there was a male chest that my face was squished upon. A very warm male chest. Maybe if I wasn't so surprised I'd say this guy smells good.

I straightened myself out shakily and stood tall as I looked into the face of my savior.

My eyes widened at the face. No, anyone but him!

"Thank you," I said politely.

"No problem," he said, laughing. How strange...He doesn't seem to recognize me.

My dad quickly cut in as he came waltzing back to me with Lily. "Hey, Ellie. You really need to watch your steps there, buddy," he chuckled at me. It's just a little clumsiness.

Stupid klutz.

I snapped out of my stupor to watch as my dad conversed with this guy.

"How's everything, son?" Dad asked.

"It's good, just the same ol' same ol'," the guy chuckled, staring down at me.

"Jason, you remember Elise, my daughter?" Dad nudged me forward a bit. Never, and I mean never, has my dad done that. Maybe he's just trying to help distract me or something.

"How can I forget that face?" he grinned at me. I could only grimace in return. I knew I probably looked constipated attempting a smile. I couldn't smile, not at him at least.

"I'll meet you at the car, buddy," Dad smiled, yanking my keys out of my hand.

As soon as my dad walked out of Cold Stone with my sister, his face transitioned into one of curiosity, with eyes full of lust.

"Elise Vernon, what a surprise," he said cockily. He looked me up and down, scrutinizing me with disgust on his face, until he settled on something that grabbed his interest - my chest.

I crossed my arms over my chest, regretting leaving a cardigan at home, "My face is a few inches up, if you don't mind," my attitude took over. He smirked at me, feeling disappointed.

"Elise, Elise, Elise, my have you grown up. It's been a long time since you've shown your face around here." Reading his face, past the lust and the subtle smirk, questions tried pushing through.

"Shut it, Evans. I see you're still the same as I remember from middle school," I spat.

"Sweetheart, you were all over me. I bet you still want to be around me," he cockily taunted.

My hopes were that he didn't live next door.

"Your dad still lives next door to me, in case you're wondering if we're neighbors," he smirked.

My hopes have been crushed.

"Thanks, Evans." I began walking away, and I heard him whistle.

"What a fine ass you've got there, Vernon. Very nice."

"What a big dick of an ego you've got there, Evans. Quite massive."

I wanted to throw my melting ice cream at his face. But for the sake of still being able to come to Cold Stone, I knew it wasn't the right thing to do.