Chapter 11

*WARNING* - This chapter may involve graphic scenes/triggers towards depression, self-harm, anxiety, and other mood disorders. If this applies to you, please don't read any further.

(Ellie's POV)

I luckily made it to lunch without lashing out at anyone in annoyance. Every pair of ignorant eyes bore into me as I attended my classes.

I knew they were saying things, whispering things about me as I walked the halls. With a set of ears like mine, I could pick up on most of what these idiots were saying. I have been learning to tune them out, but sometimes, I couldn't stand being here, in a school full of fakes.

And then there's Jason, Zoey, and Sal. I still have yet to really see what their motives are. Why they even care for someone like me.

Stupid, selfish girl. You're nothing. You deserve to live with the pain.

I shuddered at the loud thoughts roaming through my mind as I took this morning's books and shoved them into my locker. As I grabbed other books, the feeling I was being watched trickled down my back. And not in the usual manner most kids had from people watching. I felt like I was being watched carefully and closely by someone...

My back tensed, freezing me into place as I tried to match the scenarios playing in my head to the most logical occurring at the moment.

There could be a bully, it could be that Jessica girl that I beat up, a stalker, a friend. Wait, I don't really have friends.

With my right hand inside my locker, my eyes burned into the books as I feigned ignorance towards the watcher. My chest threatened to heave quickly as my breath was beginning to pick up speed, but I forced it down and used my peripherals to see, never turning my head.

Either I'm being paranoid or I'm being watched...huh, I guess I'm a lot more cautious than I gave myself credit for.

Deciding to let my paranoia slide just this time, I continued with my book arrangement and stuffed this afternoon's books into my leather messenger bag, shutting my locker.

I figured there'd be people walking in the hallways, but I didn't think I'd almost run smack right into one.

As soon as I had turned to walk towards the direction of my tree, I was literally only a few inches away from a familiar face and bright green eyes I hadn't seen in a little while.

I guess my instincts were right.

"Ian, hey," I smiled politely, gulping slightly with nerves.

"Where have you been?" he asked lightly. His eyes however, were blazing at me in a strong curiosity. He looked me up and down, frowning as he took in my features - of course he did. I look dead.

Living dead girl.

"I've been around, just busy with schoolwork," I answered, staring into his unique eyes.

"Oh," he said, trailing off.

I wasn't sure what to say, really. I was looking forward to spending my lunchtime in my tree. I was at peace in my tree. This, what I'm referring to, is not peace.

"How are you?" I asked, concerned for the boy I suddenly realized I hadn't seen in a few days.

"Great. Absolutely great." I wasn't convinced, but I nodded nonetheless.

"I'm glad," I said, smiling lightly, "Listen, I have to go, but we'll talk later, okay?"

He nodded, and suddenly stepped closer, and stuck his arms out a little. I stepped back a little, automatically guarding myself, but then realized what he wanted.