Chapter 4

It's been one week. One week that I've been back and it feels just like the first day. Waking up to red, watching sunrise and nightfall for indication that my time here is actually going by somehow. 

I spaced out in a body embracing numbness most of the time. It wasn't so bad, nor was it good. It made everything much more simple...Until I was alone in the darkness of my room. That's when everything would sink in. Reality sets, and I simply lay there and take the beating. I thought taking physical beatings as a fighter was rough enough already. This is another story that put my battle wounds to shame. With my physical wounds, I knew they'd heal in time. Anything other than the physical had no time frame.

There was nobody to help me now. Not my father, not my sister. Nobody.

My dad had informed me of school starting in about two weeks. I could only keep up with the charade of excitement, when deep down I knew what I wanted was to stay in my room, and read Edgar Allan Poe and Stephen King all day. Things haven't changed much.

(Jason's POV)

She wouldn't leave. I couldn't get her out of my head. Everything about her etched itself into my memory to torment me. 

Her hourglass figure was one I appreciated. Her curves were in just the right places. Nice chest, small waist, with the right amount of hips to balance her out. The elegant curtain of very light brown hair suited her nicely in its sleek mane as the length of it hit her waist. And that face. Her creamy ivory skin, and perfect lips...

And those eyes of hers. Those eyes captivated me ever since I could remember. In their subtlety, they haunted me in dreams I didn't want to remember. Those eyes were a very beautiful, very astonishing hazel.

Of all people I've encountered, she seemed to be the only one who was truly beautiful and failed to realize it. She's everything girls in our school would kill for.

I kept her in my mind as if she were an everlasting mural, but the mural put her to shame when I saw her a week later. She took some trash out and didn't see me standing there as I took in her fragile appearance.

Her skin was looking abnormally pale, about three shades paler. The skin on her body clung a bit tightly to her bones. She appeared to have lost weight. She looked so exhausted she could drop to the ground into a deep sleep.

Red flags flashed in my head as I took her in. Something's wrong. Something's wrong with her.

I got into my car and drove off, hoping to shake off the memory. Though we weren't friends, I couldn't wish her harm. I wanted to know what it was that was wearing her out to the point where she looked like a living dead girl.

(Ellie's POV)

She jumped on my bed and pulled at my arm, literally breaking it off. I checked my alarm clock to read seven-forty five in the morning.

Did I even sleep?

No, no you didn't.

"Lily! Stop! You're going to rip my arm off!!" I yelped in pain. She let go of me and looked at me with disappointment in her face.

"What are we supposed to do today, then?" she pouted, crossing her arms and staring at me demandingly. I rolled my eyes, but figured she wouldn't want to be cooped up in the house.

I flapped my arms limply, giving up, "What do you want to do?"

"Let's go to the park."

I internally whined, but brushed it off. "Alright. I'm going to take a shower and we'll eat breakfast and  go, okay?" She nodded.