CHAPTER ELEVEN

𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍  ;𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍 ;𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

The next morning, I was quick to get dressed for another morning at Sunnydale High. I sat in the backseat of my mom's SUV, between my redheaded best friend and Xander. It felt awkward to be sitting beside him. I didn't know how to react to what had happened last night. I liked him, and I hoped that he felt the same way. But it seemed as if he had already forgotten...which hurt me a little.

Whenever my mom drops us off at school, I'm surprised to see Buffy waiting at the front steps. Giles stood beside her. "Buffy, hey!" I said, jogging towards her. She waved at me, the smile on her face not quite reaching her eyes.

I frown at her solemn look. "Is everything okay? I know you left last night, I hope you didn't put yourself in danger just for the hell of it—"

"Angel's a vampire."

My eyes widen to the size of saucers. "What? He always seemed to be kind of old-fashioned from how you talked about him, but..."

Buffy puts her head in her hands. "I can't believe this is happening. One minute we were kissing, and the next minute..." She turns to look at Giles. "Can a vampire ever be a good person? Couldn't it happen?"

"A vampire isn't a person at all." He clears his throat. "It may have the movements, the memories, even the personality of the person that it took over, but it's still a demon at the core. There is no halfway."

I knew Willow felt bad for Buffy. First Owen, then Angel—she didn't have the best luck with men. "So that'd be a no, huh?"

"Well, then what was he doing? Why was he good to me? Was it all some part of the Master's plan? It doesn't make sense!" She throws her hands in the air out of pure frustration and I place a hand on her shoulder.

We make our way to a bench, and I sit beside Buffy, with Willow on the opposite end. "Alright, uh..." Xander sits beside me, and I feel my heart begin to pound at his presence. "You have a problem, and it's not a small one. Let's take a breath and look at this calmly and objectively. Angel's a vampire. You're a Slayer. I think it's obvious what you have to do. Or what Katy may have to do."

Buffy doesn't react and continues to sit in silence. I could tell she was trapped in her thoughts. Xander looks to me for moral support, but I shrug. I didn't know what to say. He then looks over to Giles, who crouches down beside all of us.

"Uh, it is a Slayer's duty..."

"I—I know you have feelings for this guy, but it's not like you're in love with him, right?" Xander asked, laughing to himself. Buffy looks down at the ground. I knew that was Buffy's answer, but I certainly didn't want to believe it. Vampires were evil, demonic beings that crawled from the depths of hell to torment us. Despite all of this, Buffy managed to love one.