CHAPTER THIRTEEN

𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒖𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘

𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒖𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘

It was the week of the talent show at Sunnydale High. Buffy, Willow, Xander and I walk down the hallway, headed to the auditorium. All of our other classmates were there, practicing their acts.

"I can't believe Giles was picked to organize the talent show," I said with a laugh.

"Me either," Xander agreed.

Buffy defends him. "Come on, guys. I know he's old-fashioned but I'm sure he isn't that miserable."

We walk into the auditorium and head down the center aisle. I spot Giles in one of the front seats, his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose. "He's not enjoying himself," I muttered to Buffy. Willow nodded.

When we make it over to him, Buffy inhales and smiles.  "If it isn't the great producer!" We walk down the row and sit in seats close to Giles.

"Had to see this to believe it," Xander said.

Giles seems relieved to see us. "Oh. You four."

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. "The school talent show. How ever did you finagle such a primo assignment?"

Giles purses his lips. "Our new führer, Mr. Snyder," he said.

"I think they call them 'principals' now," Willow reminded him.

"Snyder isn't a principal," I told her. "He's the devil reincarnate! He's only been here for two days and he's already tried to give me detention. And all I did was go to the bathroom to pee!"

"What a heartless man," Xander declared. I giggled.

"Mm. He thought it would behoove me to have more contact with the students. I did try to explain that my vocational choice of librarian was a deliberate attempt to..." Giles inhales a breath. "...minimize said contact, but, he would have none of it."

Buffy rested her hand on his shoulder. "Giles, unto every generation is born one who must run the annual talentless show. You cannot escape your destiny."

"If you had any shred of decency, you would have participated, or at least, erm, helped," he said.

Buffy shook her head. "Nah! I think I'll take on your traditional role... and watch!"

Xander grinned at me. "And mock!"

"And laugh!" Willow cried.