CHAPTER EIGHT

𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒂 𝒃𝒐𝒚 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆  ;𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒂 𝒃𝒐𝒚 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

Xander, Willow, and I walk back into the living room just as Buffy and Giles finish talking about what I assumed to be The Order of Aurelius. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" the blonde says with a pleased expression. "And look, I won't go too far, okay? If the apocalypse comes, beep me."

Owen soon steps in behind us. "Is everything cool?"

Buffy nods. "All set."

"Yes, and, uh, you'll face a pretty hefty fine in the morning," Giles notes.

"Kinky," I murmur. Xander looks over at me and can barely hold back a laugh. I simply smile in response and he ruffles my hair. He then leans over and whispers, "your dirty mind astounds me."

"Takes one to know one," I murmur in response.

Buffy glances between Giles, Willow, Xander, and I before tugging on Owen's arm. "Well, bye. Don't wait up." They left quickly, much to the librarian's dismay.

"Is something going on?" Willow asks, her voice worrisome.

"Oh, uh, probably not, no," Giles stumbles over his words. I knew he was trying to make her feel a little bit better. "I, uh, I suppose I'll just go to the funeral home just in case, just to see if anything comes up." Much like Buffy, he's out the door, leaving the three of us standing in the foyer.

Willow turns to Xander and me, concern etched onto her features. "Guys, this is bad."

"I wish it was just bad," he answers. I nod in agreement. But, enough wishing couldn't deny the fact that tonight was probably going to be much, much worse than we could think of.

"I think we should just...follow along and hang back while we're at it," I suggest, remembering that the dagger in my boot could come in handy if we encountered any of 'The Anointed Ones'. "That way we could be the lookouts."

Xander agrees. "You're right, Katy. I don't trust that Owen guy. It's the eyes. Crazy!"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not talking about the lovebirds, Xan—I'm talking about Giles. He needs our help."

"Oh, he's gone, uh, it's—he's gonna be alright. He's like super librarian, y'know?"

Willow cuts in. "But Xander, he could be in trouble!"

After staring at us for a few moments, he finally sighs. "Fine. But I'm doing this because I kind of wants to, not because you guys told me to."