𝟎𝟎𝟓

"𝙿𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚖𝚊𝚗"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ

     "TELL ME SOMETHING about yourself." Emily says as she sits down on the floor in front of the coffee table.

Emily and Noah picked up some Chinese for dinner. They set everything out on the coffee table in the living room.  Noah is enjoying the food while Emily sips on some red wine.  They are both sitting on the floor so they do not get the couch dirty.

"Haven't you profiled me enough already?" Noah asks with a chuckle.

"Well, not so much. We mostly profiled Nick and the group of kids as a whole." Emily explains, "How about we ask each other questions one at a time?  And you can go first." The woman suggests and locks eyes with the teen.

"What's your middle name?" Noah asks, agreeing to Emily's little game.

"Elizabeth.  What's yours?" Emily answers and uses the same question for her turn.

"Portman." Noah responds and looks at Emily.

"Portman?" Emily questions.

"No follow-up questions." Noah stops her and waves her finger.

"Fine." Emily giggles and looks down at her wine, "Your turn."

"Why aren't you married?" Noah asks.

"I haven't found anyone." Emily says with a shrug.

"Haven't found anyone or pushed everyone away?" Noah questions, knowing that she has always pushed people away. If Penelope is right about the two being similar, that means that Noah knows all of Emily's tricks and vice versa.

"No follow-up questions." Emily reminds the teen and waves her finger at Noah.

"Touché." Noah chuckles and Emily is glad to hear the teen laugh.

"How about we both promise to answer the follow-up questions?" Emily offers.

"Fine. But we get one cop-out each." Noah compromises and Emily agrees to the teen's terms.

"So, Portman?" Emily repeats her question.

"Apparently, a nurse at the hospital that I was born at was Dutch. And when I needed a middle name, she used Portman.  The meaning of the name in Dutch means someone who lives in a gate or a walled town. She figured that I would be stuck in the four walls of the adoption agency for a while, so apparently it gave her the idea." Noah explains the story behind her middle name and it makes Emily sad. To think that someone thought Noah would spend her life trapped inside four walls is upsetting.

"So, have you actually never found anyone?" Noah adds to change the subject. The last thing the teen wants is any sympathy from anyone.

"I found someone." Emily responds, "He just wasn't right for me — or for anyone."

"He wasn't a good person?" Noah asks.

"He was trouble." Emily sighs and looks up at Noah. For the first time since she has met her, Emily sees compassion in Noah's eyes.

"Have you given up?" Noah asks.

"Given up?" Emily says with a slight chuckle.

"On love." Noah replies.

"No, I don't think so. I just don't think love has to be from a man in my life — I find more love in my friends." Emily states and takes a sip of her wine.

"What about family?"

"Hey, I'm pretty sure it's my turn." Emily giggles and watches Noah smile.