𝟎𝟏𝟑

"𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚆𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚢"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝕄𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕄𝕠𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

     "ARE YOU EXCITED?" Emily asks Noah as they sit down for breakfast.

"I guess," Noah replies with a shrug.

"I take it that you didn't really like school." Emily notes.

"I wanted to learn, but..." The teen pauses, "High school is so much more than school." She adds as she takes a bite of the pancakes Emily made for her.

"You mean how everybody tries to fit in?" Emily asks.

"It's like there's a box.  And no matter how hard everyone tries, only very few can fit in that box.  And everyone outside of the box gets treated like shit."

"Hey—" Emily snaps at the teen's language.

"Sorry. Am I wrong, though?"

"Well, no. It's sad to think that high school hasn't changed ever since I left." Emily notes.

"Maybe it'll be different with these kinds of kids." Noah suggests, wanting to give it a chance.

"What kind?"

"The rich, super smart, private school kids." Noah says, "Actually, that makes it sound like it'll be worse." She huffs and eats a bite of her pancakes.

"You just have to find your people." Emily says.

"How?"

"Join a club or a sports team or something."

"I don't play any sports—"

"Morgan said you should join track team." Emily suggests and smiles as she takes a sip of her orange juice.

"Why?"

"You outran him."

"And you." Noah boasts.

"And me." Emily smirks, "Listen, you'll be okay.  And if you really don't like it, then we can talk about different options."

"I guess." The teen shrugs.

"I'm gonna shower and I expect you to be dressed and ready to go when I come back, okay?" Emily asks as she picks up her plate and takes it to the kitchen sink.

"Okay." Noah says and finishes eating up.  She puts her and Emily's dishes in the dishwasher and heads up to her bedroom.

Noah plays some music from her phone as she chooses her outfit.  Noah quickly slips on her black jeans and a black t-shirt.  She pulls out a green, blue, and black plaid shirt and throws it on over her tee.  The teen slips on the new black Vans that Emily got her and heads to the bathroom.  Noah brushes her straight hair and makes sure the middle part is even.

The teen hears Emily's bedroom door open and rushes out to the hallway.

"You ready?" Emily asks as she begins to walk downstairs.

"Yeah!" Noah exclaims and follows the woman.

The two make their way to the car.  As they drive, Emily turns on the radio and keeps the volume at a soft level.  Noah peers out the window and wonders how she will adjust to a new school.

"Hey," Emily catches the teen's attention.

"Hm?" Noah hums.

"You're gonna be okay." Emily encourages the teen.

"I know,"

"I think you'll like it." Emily says and looks over at Noah, who is smiling wide as well.