Chapter 35 "Emergence"

Lauren

I had done something more dangerous than what I was going to do, but still, I was feeling anxious and hesitant at the moment, even just thinking I was going to do another drastic thing again. It was one of those things where I had to put myself in tough situations just to get something I wanted, and I didn't think I could get used to it anytime soon or ever, but what could I say, everything changed now, after knowing the people who I thought I knew were just plain horrible, were also murderers. It was like the situation had became more dangerous, so were the drastic measures I was going to do.

Briefly glancing around the room, I then turned my attention to the two police officers who were standing outside Isaac's room. Out of all people, I didn't want to deal with officers, but I didn't have any other option but to go through them in order to see Isaac. I knew he wasn't worth the risk, but I needed to talk to him, not just to ease up the guilt I was feeling, or the fact that I still cared about him after all, I also wanted to know why he didn't tell Clifford about what I did. I expected him to, but after confirming that he didn't say a word to Clifford just piqued my curiosity.

Taking a deep calming breath, I adjusted my medical mask, and started walking towards the police officers, and eventually, they shifted their attention to me, and as I stopped near them, I raised my identification card to let them see, while pretending to look down at my clipboard right away.

Peering at my ID, I briefly caught one of the officers frowned, "Nurse Allen, didn't you check the patient a while ago?" 

I cleared my throat, "Officer, with the patient's condition right now, he needs to be in under careful observation. Checking up the patient from time to time is important, his vital signs could change any time," I stated firmly, briefly meeting the officer's gaze, and continued looking down at my clipboard. I noticed them momentarily looking at each other, before the same officer turned to me. 

"I'm sorry nurse, we're just doing our job, and taking some precautions..."

"I understand officer, and I'm also doing my job," I replied subtly, "...if you'll just kindly let me in so I could check the patient, I still have few more rounds to do...Officers?" I added, and reluctantly, the officer, who just talked to me, reluctantly opened the door, and without hesitation, I slipped inside. As soon as I heard the door closed behind me, I let out a sigh of relief, briefly shutting my eyes as I slowly gathered my composure once again. I felt like I couldn't mumble any word around them, and my knees almost buckled in anxiousness, thinking that I wasn't convincing enough. It was a good thing the nurse that was assigned to Isaac had almost the same stature, and also with the same black hair as mine. It was disappointing that I had met her in different circumstance, and I felt bad for her as she was sleeping peacefully to somewhere I didn't know where Knowles had put her. I knew she was okay, she would just experience a light headache when she woke up, and hopefully by then, I would be long gone.

"I'll get us some coffee..." I heard the familiar voice of the officer on the other side of the door, and I couldn't be more relieved that they hadn't suspected me yet, but my brief relief had disappeared when I heard the steady beeping of the machine that sounded through the room. Shifting my gaze to Isaac lying unconsciously on the bed, in the middle of the room, I couldn't stop myself from letting out a shaky breath, seeing his helpless state. As I slowly walked towards his bed, I recalled what the doctor had said earlier about his condition. After sustaining multiple stab wounds, he lost a lot of blood, and currently in critical condition. Just thinking it was partly my fault why he ended up like his current state just made me feel more worse than I already was before.

Stopping just beside his bed, I briefly glanced at his hand cuffed to the side rail, then to his unconscious face covered with oxygen mask. After all that had happened between us, I still felt bad for him, I wouldn't wish this upon him even if he was a terrible man.