Chapter 5 "Amity"

Alexandra

I let my mind wandered once again, thinking about a certain woman, that was my boss. For the past week, she seemed a little listless, I often noticed her in deep thoughts, and sometimes saw her scolding some of her employees, making me wonder what was going on with her. She wasn't in her usual self since that night at the Coldwells', doing things halfheartedly at the office, and sometimes cancelling some of her business meetings. And just like some employees who noticed her change of behavior, I was also curious what happened to her that night after I left, but I didn't like to ask her as it wasn't my business, I didn't want to pry. 

Whatever was going on with her right now, I just hoped she could get past it as it was affecting her work, and the people around her.

"Hello? Earth to Alex..." Hearing  Becca's voice, I snapped back to reality, and saw her looking at me curiously. "What were you thinking? You left me for a second," she added, forking her pasta.

I shrugged, "Nothing. Just thinking about work," I lied, averting her gaze.

"Okay...So, how's work then?" she queried, bringing the pasta to her mouth.

"Same as usual," I answered as I lazily forked a small chunk of my meat.

"And how's Lauren as boss?" she asked suggestively, causing me to stop midway from bringing the meat to my mouth when I heard her name. 

Putting down the fork back on the plate, I looked at her with narrowed eyes.

"She's a good boss. Her employees really adore her," I answered nonchalantly as I stared at her inquisitively. Her face instantly brightened up after hearing my answer, and I raised a brow at her reaction, knowing the look she was giving me.

"And that includes you, right?...You also adore your boss?" she asked, wiggling her brows.

I rolled my eyes, "Stop it Becks, I know what you're trying to do."

"What am I trying to do?" she retorted, "I'm just asking...and it's just a simple yes or no Alex, geez!"

"Oh really?" I asked, trying my best not to quirk a smile.

She nodded, "Yeah...So, what is it?"

After carefully staring at her for a moment, I let out a huge sigh, and spoke, "Lauren...she's really different. She's caring and...understanding to her employees...and I think, those things are making her stand out from any other bosses out there... " I answered nonchalantly before grabbing my glass of iced tea.

She suddenly gasped as she feigned hurt, putting her hand on her chest, "You hurt my feelings, dear Alex! I'm also caring and understanding to my people!...I'm a good boss," she complained, making me roll my eyes.

"Don't be so dramatic Becks."

She snorted, "Fine, but...that's it?"

I frowned, "That's it what?"

"You just respect her? Nothing more?"

I nodded, "Yeah, that's it. Should there be more?" I asked naively although I knew what she was referring.

She sighed, "It's just that..." she trailed off, before shrugging her shoulders, "Never mind...Let's just give you time," she said, mumbling the last statement.

"You sure?" I asked.

She beamed, "Yeah," she answered simply. As she continued eating her food, still smiling, I watched her attentively for a brief moment, before deciding to go on eating as well. Minutes later, I felt my phone vibrated once on my jeans' pocket, letting me know I had a message. Fetching it, I immediately opened the message when I saw who it was from.