Chapter 3 "Curiosity"

Lauren

She intrigued me. Ever since I laid eyes on her, I knew she was different from other women I had already met. She wasn't just a beauty, there was something about her that was making me curious, and I couldn't resist not knowing what it was. Her mysterious vibe, and lack of emotion really piqued my interest, it made me wonder what kind of a person she was if I got to see her true self. 

I wanted to get to know her, so I took the time to personally look for any contact information I could find, and when I did find something, I let my secretary contact her. Imagine my surprise when she showed up, looking totally different from when I first saw her, which really amplified my curiosity. I meant, she probably liked to change her style from time to time, but I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something behind the change, something deep, and adding to the fuel was how she said she couldn't wait to work for me. The way she said it, I felt like there was more to it.

I hired her on the spot for two reasons. First was that I wanted to do something as a thanks to her for helping me got out of the mess that night. I thought words weren't enough for what she did because if it wasn't for her, I would have probably caused a scandal which would end up in tabloids, something I was trying to avoid for the sake of Harrington's reputation, and also the Coldwells. The second reason was I felt like I needed to get close, and find out who she really was, for my sake. I could tell her mysterious vibe was slowly pulling me towards her, and for the first time, after so many years, someone had stirred my curiosity, which only meant one thing for me; once I would get interested with someone, I wouldn't stop no matter until I had satiated my curiosity.

"Ms. Harrington?" Alex's familiar voice echoed through my head, snapping me from reverie, and I turned my chair to face her.

 I cleared my throat, "Yes, Alex?"

"I'm done with the office tour, Ms. Harrington. I'm ready for whatever work you would like me to do."

I smiled when I eventually thought of something, "For now Alex...I want you to come with me, I'm gonna check the venue for my engagement party."

"Of course, Ms. Harrington."

"Great!" I blurted out excitedly, thinking I would get to spend time with her. It would be a good opportunity to pry something out of her, and maybe get to know her better. "Now, let's get out of here," I added, making her frown for a moment at my enthusiasm. I grabbed my bag, and walked out of the office with her following behind. 

~~~

A comfortable silence enveloped us as we sat next to each other in the car. Since we left the office, Alex hadn't said a word looking like she was in deep thoughts as she watched the cars and buildings blurred past us. As much as I didn't want to interrupt her pensive mood, and the fact, I was also admiring her side profile, I still had questions to ask her, and I wouldn't get anything if I didn't start asking now.

"You don't talk that much, do you Alex?" I asked, grabbing her attention as she turned to me.

"I don't, Ms. Harrington," she simply replied, and I nodded understandably, taking a deep breath.

"Well, I'd like to change that if you're gonna be working for me...So, tell me about yourself Alex."

Her right brow faintly twitched as she looked at me pensively, "There's nothing really interesting about me, Ms. Harrington."

"I'm sure you're an interesting person Alex...but, alright..." I said, shrugging my shoulders, "I won't force you to tell me, well at least not now, after all, you just started working for me, I'm sure you're still uncomfortable talking to me..."