iii. three

VIOLET COULD NOW HEAR THE SOUND OF THE OCEAN. The four of them were now standing on the soft, beige sand of the beach. They were facing two buildings, one of where Reggie's house used to be located.

"A bike shack right where my house used to be. Right here." Reggie sighed as they looked at the store named "Petals on The Beach."

"Yeah, I'm sorry man." Luke said as he patted his shoulder.

"They made the Myerson's house into a noodle shop. Why couldn't they have made mine a pizzeria or something?" Reggie dejectedly said as he continued to speak.

Violet took around and frowned, "The whole neighborhood's gone."

"I guess my folks are gone." Violet placed an arm around Reggie in place of Luke's and laid her head on his shoulder as he moved to stand in front of them.

"No, everyone's gone. Twenty-five years. Gone." Alex then entered in the conversation. "Friends, family, Bobby, everyone."

Violet's head lifted at the mention of their old friend. "Bobby, that's right. Guess that vegetarian lucked out. What do you think happened to him?" Reggie then asked.

"Do you think he continued on with music? Like maybe started a new band or gone solo? He did always love music just as much as us." Violet asked as she remembered how the "vegetarian" flirt would, most of the time, be the first one to always make it to practices and book them gigs if Luke hadn't or wasn't able to book ones. Even though Bobby mostly made sarcastic jokes and seemed like he didn't care much, he really did care for all of them and was like a big brother figure to violet especially which made her sad for forgetting about him for a split moment.

"He probably just got old like everybody else and moved out." Violet was stunned at how casual Luke said that and crossed her arms.

"Dude, how are you so casual about all of this?" Alex questioned as he noticed the way Luke spoke as well. "I mean, don't you want to figure out what happened?"

"Well let's be real for a second. It's not like any of us were close to our families. My folks always regretted buying me that guitar." Luke started off with a slight glare. "Reggie, your parents were literally a fight away from a divorce. Alex, your parents were never cool again after you told them you were gay, and Violet, I'm sorry to say this, but you barely talked to your father once you found out that his health was declining and that he had a chance of passing away soon."

Violet bit back the profane words she was about to burst out at Luke for bringing it up. Sure she did that, but she wanted to spare herself some of the pain she would feel. It wasn't smart, but at least she wasn't totally avoiding him.

She instead bit her lip and turned around to face the ocean, "Well it's not my fault for missing them and wanting to know how they are right now." She replied coldly.

"Okay, none of us had it great." Alex spoke right after once the brunette buzzed out for a moment. "All right? But at least we had something! You know, what do we have now? And before you say cool teleportation skills, just know I'm not entirely okay with that either. Alright? It tingles... in weird places."

"My god, Alex, please never say tingles again." Violet commented as she scrunched her nose in disgust.

"Well, I'll tell you what we have." Luke then said as he got up from where he was sitting. "It's what we had since the day we came together."

"You have each other. Music..." Violet quietly said to herself, still facing towards the blue waves, but the boys heard and all shared a soft smile, but also a slight frown at the "you have" in the beginning.