Hospital Life

The next time I wake up it's pitch black. My body feels weaker than I had ever left in my life, and that's saying something. Everyone has felt weak, but this feeling was irritating me. All of a sudden the door opens. A nurse walks in and sees me awake. She turns the lights on and walks over to me.

"How are you?" She asks.

Okay, stop right there. You're telling me that the first thing this nurse does is ask how I am? This is insane. My head throbs under the bright lights and my body aches.

"Who are you?" I ask, my voice barely audible. "Where am I?"

The nurse just smiles and goes over to open up the curtains wide. Apparently they had been closed while I was sleeping. It is somewhat light outside.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"It is seven o'clock in the morning and the world is already a very busy place." She looks out the window and smiles. "It's already bustling." Then she came over to me."Now you didn't answer my question. How are you?"

"Confused." I manage to say.

This feels like a dream. But not really a dream. This is a nightmare. I'm trapped in this room that looks welcoming, but in reality, it's full of life saving machines. This whole situation is uncomfortable.

Was it because of my bruises? It couldn't have been, could it?

"Your parents will be arriving soon." She says. "My name is Emily. I'll be your personal nurse."

Emily? Such a normal name. Such a normal, normal name for this so not normal situation. I fume, but don't show it. I was so angry that I almost forgot what she had said. A personal nurse.

"Please explain what is happening!" I moan. "I have this needle in my arm and I feel so weak! I was at a really important meet." I draw off, tears spilling over.

At that moment I notice that this wasn't just your ordinary hospital room. This looks like a hotel room. But of course with some medical equipment thrown around. I had never seen a room in a hospital like this before. I've had surgery two times before, both from gymnastics injuries, but the rooms we're all dark and gloomy.

This one was actually painted a pastel blue and had crown molding and half of the bottom of the wall was wood. It looked cozy, I can't lie. But that just added to my curiosity.

"Everything will be discussed once your parents arrive." Emily says.

The sight of my parents made me almost cry. The type of cry when you feel relieved. Had it really been only this morning since I had last seen them? It felt like an eternity. I was just thanking my mom for the breakfast this morning, and now it was the fact that I had to thank them for having enough time to visit their own daughter is the hospital.

They rushed into the room and took me into a big hug. Well, they tried to. It wasn't the easiest thing to do. Still, the embrace made me feel a bit better. Just a little bit. Then they stepped back and took in the surroundings of the room itself. Next they looked at me. Mom started to cry and Dad just awkwardly stood there.

I don't blame my dad. This was a very awkward situation.

"Good morning." Calls a door coming into the room. "We'll need to have a little chat."

"Doctor...." My mom trails off in tears and sits in the comfy chair next to my bed.

"I understand this news that you have received will be hard. I wish we could have caught this sooner." He says.