Chapter 16

Chapter 16

This morning the Prince informed me that he had some business at the main estate, and that I was to accompany him. Though it made more than enough sense for him to send for me, as I am his personal knight, what I don't understand is why Grace, Philip, Geoffrey, and Percival are also here. If he thought he needed five guards, it would've been a better option to just ask for four more experienced Imperial Knights, so why bring the newest recruits instead?

"My life is in your hands and yet your head is in the clouds," Prince Cole leans down to whisper beside me. The six of us are making our way to the main estate, with Percival and I on either side of him, and the three idiots flanking him from behind. I look at him, not realizing how long I've been zoned out, and he's smiling at me like he normally does. I'm just glad to see that whatever happened yesterday didn't strain our relationship and further than a few hours of awkward silence. "What's happening in that pretty little head of yours that has you so distracted?"

I try not to blush at the compliment I've received hundred of times since arriving as Lady Amalie, somehow this time felt a bit different. "Well Prince Cole," I reply, and he smiles a bit at the informal use of his name, "I was just curious as to what possessed you to bring a circus to guard you while you were away from Lambhurst."

"A circus? I thought you'd appreciate the company," He stifles a laugh, still only loud enough for me to hear, "and a circus is all well and fine for we just entered the lion's den." The pearly gates of the main estate of Belmar Palace swings open and I could have sworn I heard an angel's choir welcome us to the magnanimous wonder that is the building in front of us; it could have also just been the audible gasps from Grace, Philip, and Geoffrey behind me. I even hear a whispered cuss from Percival who quickly covers his mouth in guilt for cussing in front of royalty and recomposes himself.

The estate is twice the size of the Lambhurst Palace with a brick path leading to the main entrance, and maybe ten marble statues lining the path. The lights hanging from every window illuminate it like it's shining gold, and a well placed fountain in the center of it all is spraying water to the top of the second story. I had only been here once before, the night of the Sonna Festival closing ball, but in the day the sheer majesty of it is so much more clear.

Prince Cole never mentioned to me what this meeting is about, but he didn't need to. King Charmond has been getting sicker as the winter grew colder, and people are losing hope for his recovery. This meeting is about the inheritance of the throne.

Prince Cole will fight for his birthright and his father's will, and the Queen Consort will argue that he doesn't have the blood of both royal lineages as Prince Tristen does. The court will decide to side with Prince Cole for now, but Queen Rista will gather them to support Prince Tristen's faction once this meeting is over. Having Lady Amalie as a wife would mean a selfish little puppet acting as an incompetent queen, and Queen Rista knew this and used it against Prince Cole in the original book. I wonder what plan she'll have now.

Once we reach the meeting room the Imperial guards protecting the doors refuses to let me in. I look at Cole, and he nods that it's ok, and so he enters the room alone leaving his five guards to wander aimlessly around the palace.

One of the Imperial guards standing by the door informs us that the queen wishes to dine with Prince Cole for the evening, and that we are free to roam the main estate until after his meal.

"Now what?" Philip asks in a hushed tone that was pushed out like a yell.

"If you are going to speak at a regular speaking volume, why bother trying to hid your voice in a whisper?" Percival asks, "What else do we do besides stand here and wait for Crown Prince Accolodius to finish with his meeting."