Chapter 24

There was an explosion in the east wing.

Followed by another in the west.

Lambhurst Palace is under attack.

Lucinda hurried me awake while Charlotte quickly packed me a bag, storing away the valuables and random dresses she left to hang earlier. I tried asking what was happening, but none of my thoughts came across as coherent or rational. I'm not even convinced a complete sentence left my mouth, just half-awake mumbles and panicked breaths.

A cool night breeze brushes past my ankles, up the skirt of my night dress, and Charlotte drapes a coat over my shoulders to keep me from freezing. Of all the thoughts that should have been running through my mind, only one rang louder than the others. Where are my friends? Had they escaped? I was still being rushed through the Imperial Knight regiment's quarters, maybe there's still a chance to find them. I ask Lucinda to look for them as Charlotte begins to drag me away.

As much as I'd hate to credit her, as much as it pains me to admit, this could only be the doing of one twisted shrew. What else does Queen Rista have in store? I'd rather not stick around to find out.

I call out to Lucinda, begging her to find Grace and the others before we leave, and she obliges as Charlotte continues to usher me through the corridors, oversized carry-on in tow.

Where's Cole?

The thought stops me in my tracks, and I start to turn down the corridor to his private study. "Charlotte, what time is it?" I ask, but the single chime from a clock in the hall answers me for her. One in the morning. Cole usually works this late, he's probably still in his office.

"My Lady, where are you going?" Charlotte calls after me, hiking up her skirt as she chases. She's running but the distance between us is too great for her to grab me now.

"I have a job, Charlotte, a commitment to the Crown Prince. If I am to leave this Palace alive then so will Accolodius."

Her calls grow quieter as I run through the halls, the sound of screams and roaring fires blocking out the noise of my footsteps. I'd been keeping count. The explosions are large enough to remove threats, while not being so large that the foundation collapses. The columns vibrate every thirty or so paces, its location moving around the perimeter of Lambhurst like a ticking clock. If I'm correct, the first was set off in Cole's personal chambers, while his study remains on the other side of the palace.

Queen Rista must have hoped to kill him in his sleep, it's what she'd done in the book. I thought I had more time to plan an escape route for all of us, but her attack had moved up most likely due to the little spat I had with Tristen and Garrison earlier.

A maid pushes past me, and a basket of worn clothes and wet towels tumbles behind her. She looks at it briefly, up at me and my equally harrowed appearance, and decides to abandon the laundry. I recognized that maid, she was loyal, diligent, and never spoke much. She must be cursing herself now for filing her allegiance with the first prince.

An explosion sounds ahead of me, blinding me for only a second and filling the air with smoke. I lift an arm over my face, bracing for the flying debris, but the thin silk doesn't offer much protection as a chip of cement singes my sleeve. One guard almost flew from his post, hitting his back against the opposite wall and unable to move from there. I'm not sure if he's still conscious, but by the angle his leg is bent, it's clear he won't be able to run if he is.

A flame blocks my way to Cole's study, and my head turns frantically in search for a new route. Without thinking, my feet start moving to a path towards the right when I collide into someone, looking as confused as I do, both falling backwards with a tired yelp.