Chapter 11

Prince Cole.

The name runs through my mind but I can't seem to comprehend it. My mysterious savior yesterday was the Crown Prince of Belmar? The man I was running around with to jewelry stores was the protagonist of the book?

How could I have been so blind, there were so many obvious signs I just assumed he was an interesting unnamed nobleman. He was running from his guards, he escapes from the palace where his every move is watched, he wears a tattered cloak to disguise his expensive clothes underneath. I didn't realize that running away to the general public was a habit of his since the novel is supposed to start tomorrow. He probably didn't get much of a chance to enjoy his usual rituals since he was shackled to the original Amalie during the Sonna Festival.

Ace, or rather Crown Prince Cole, is a little ways away when I lay a hand over my waist and bend to greet him with a bow. "Greetings His Royal Highness Crown Prince Accolodius. Blessings upon the Kingdom of Belmar." I look up before he allows me to rise, but I can't help but sneak a glance at his smug face. He's cockily grinning, trying his best to disguise his amusement.

"Please Lady Amalie, no need for formalities. I heard the daughter of the esteemed Ewell Dukedom was going to make an appearance at the knighting exams and I wanted to see it for myself. I'm just glad to finally be acquainted with such an impressive member of nobility." He bows in front of me, meeting me at eye level and dropping to a whisper, "So we meet again, Miss Amy."

We rise from our formal greeting stances and I want to keep asking him questions, but I know there's not enough time. My favorite character ever is standing right in front of me, and I'm forced to fight him for my own survival. Cole was described as the mightiest swordsman in the kingdom; intelligent, powerful, and swift. I could feel my chances of becoming an imperial knight dwindling, but the man in front of me was still human. I sparred with Garrison and the Duke everyday for a month, if I could hold my own against them then I might have a chance against Cole.

The announcer doesn't even wait for either of us to take a stance before shouting "Begin!" into the speaker system. My sword fumbles in my hands as I fail at gracefully unsheathing my blade. Cole lunges toward me with fire in his eyes and a smile still on his mouth. Our swords clash right before his blade could touch my nose, sparks threatening to burn the hair framing my face. Even with my eyes staring into his, teeth gritted from focus, I could make out the reflection of my skin on the metal in front of me.

"Careful, Love," he grins, still pressing his weight against me, "I'm afraid I'm not as gentlemanly as Willard." He leans back slightly before charging his sword against mine once more. I can't help but move back as our blades connect, each time forcing me more and more into a corner. We continue to parry like that, breaking apart for only seconds at a time before striking once again.

The re-split calluses on my hands tinge my hands like flames, threatening my grip with each passing blow. My eyes wince with each strike, stumbling further and further to my side of the stadium. I'm not sure if Cole notices my pain, but he relents a bit, allowing myself room to breathe.

"Fight me," he says, the goofiness in his smile replaced with something serious. "Show me you can be an imperial knight. If this is the path you truly desire, then prove it. Fight me." The smell of iron burns my nose, and I'm not sure if it's from my sword or blood from my hands. My eyes don't leave Cole's face, searching for some sort of sign of his next attack, some sort of tightened muscle to signify movement. That's when I realize I should take what he said more seriously. He's right, if I'm to become an imperial knight, I need to prove myself. I need to fight him.

Adrenaline fills my sight, pushing aside any sense of pain as I tighten my grip on my sword. My feet shift in the dirt slightly, separating to widen my stance and ground my balance. I'm too close to the wall to keep defending, but there's no way I can openly attack in offense against Cole. He made it clear that he could defeat me right then and there if he wanted to by allowing me a chance to prepare myself, and I can't blame him for it.