Epilogue

Epilogue

There's nothing I despise more than first dates. The monotony of the ritual, the insufferable small talk between two people that most likely have nothing in common. Especially when it comes to the blind ones your friends set you up on because they're tired of seeing you sulk about being single.

I'm mindlessly scrolling on my phone as I wait for my date to arrive. He's only a few minutes late, but I have a rule about punctuality. Each second that ticks by, the more I resolve to split the bill and leave before they can even bring out the dessert menu.

Besides, is there anything more cliche than his insistence on meeting at a restaurant? I know it's safe – we eat and part ways if it's bad, or we eat and keep talking to further any connection we may feel if it's good – it's an obvious venue for a first date. But couldn't he have put in a little more thought? I am unlikely to remember something as unremarkable as a dinner just as I am unlikely to remember calling him back if this is anything short of entertaining.

When he finally arrives, his shirt already has sweat stains, and he's out of breath. Most likely due to rushing from wherever he was before. The hostess points him towards my table, and I'm already regretting agreeing to this.

"Hi," he says, settling in the seat across from me. I offer a happy smile but it's bereft of any actual joy. "I'm Simon. Sorry, were you waiting long?"

He's not terrible to look at, I'll give him that, but nothing so extraordinary for me to forget that the ice in my water has melted. "Jules, and no, not at all," I lie, already thinking about what dessert I won't be taking home.

"Parking was a bitch," he jokes.

Yeah, sure it was. "Don't worry, I've just been staring at the menu. I'm ready to order whenever you are."

My date nods once. I can tell he's nervous as he scans the pages, but it doesn't take him long to settle on something. We place our orders, and I begin my timer of awkward silence where neither of us really knows what to say to the other.

"So," he begins, twirling his water with the straw as he avoids eye contact. "Tell me about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" I ask, hoping the boredom isn't too apparent in my voice.

"What's your favorite color?"

"No," I cross my arms and lean back in my seat. "Don't do that. Be more creative."

"Favorite food?"

"Try again."

"This feels like a job interview."

"It's your fault for asking basic questions."

He thinks for a bit, drinking a sip of water as he regroups. "Alex says you like to read, is that true?"

At that I perk up, finally something I can talk about without feeling tedious. "It is."

"What's your favorite book?"

It's not that I'm swooning at my date, let's get that straight, no I have yet to find anything swoon worthy about him aside from the fact that he's trying. It's just that I'll take any opportunity to talk about books, especially if someone's willingly asking.

"Well," I start, and I can tell he's listening intently. "It's about a girl, a Duke's daughter, who refuses to marry this prince because she wants to be more than just a wife. So, instead, she becomes a knight and transcends the boundaries of gender roles, friendship, and love. There's so many twists and turns you could hardly believe it, and you really fall for how down to earth a Duke's daughter can be, almost like she's one of us. I could talk about it for hours but I won't at the risk of spoiling it for you."

Simon leans forward, and there seems to be genuine interest in his expression. "What's it called?"

I'm almost kicking my feet with how giddy I am about the topic, and my date seems to notice too. "It's called The Kingdom of Belmar."