The Writer's BANG Theory

Part Seven

Resisting The Flare Of Inspiration

WARNING: Some of this is utter bullshit that I do cause I'm a fruitcake with no life ... whatsoever. Thank you.

One of the hardest things of being a writer is all the stocked up ideas.

Trust me, you'll have plenty.

I've noticed that maybe it's not just me who suddenly gets a burst of inspiration and have to write it down. And then you're all like OMG this is bloody fantastic! You're so excited and full of this idea! You're like WHOO WHOO WHOOOOOO!!!!!! And you just keep writing and writing and writing and by the end of the day you have eight chapters or less written up ad you post them all up in one day at Wattpad.

Then BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is like AWWWEEESSSOOMEEE and it becomes all popular (okay, it's only have a hundred reads but it has 100 reads!!! That's awesome) and your so psyched! But ....

Now you don't know what to do next. You have the beginning of it and you love the characters but .. you don't know what to do next.

This is not writer's block, this is even worse.

I call it an Inspiration Flare, a small burst of inspiration that you get and start something on but it soon diminishes and you're stuck with four chapters of a book and no way to end it.

So you place the dreaded ON HOLD on your story.

How many books have you made only to place ON HOLD on them? It's always sad, especially the readers who loved the book.

Now, I have some helpful tips to get past the ON HOLDs that are quite simple and easy to do.

.

.

.

1. No Spur Of The Moment Posting.

(Also In Last Chapter)

This basically means that when you do get inspiration make sure it's not a Inspiration Flare before you post and disappoint the readers. What you can do it this.

Fill out these four things-

Name Of The Story:

Characters:

Setting:

Plot Line:

So if you can't fill out all four of those or even if they are super small answers... DO NOT POST IT!!!!!!

You can still continue writing it and if you end up getting to like 10 to 15 chapters and you're confident that you're going to continue writing then go ahead and post it. Do the same with the writing even if you past the test. The test (four filling out things) are just to make sure it's not a Flare because if it is a flare all your inspiration should be used up from the test.

.

.

.

2. The OTHER Document

So when your writing a story (whether it's hand-written or on the computer) you have it down on a document. So now you need ANOTHER document. I usually title this document OTHER and make sure you always keep up with it.

You know those moments where you think of a part of your story but your not at that part? Like, let's say Timmy, you're lovable little boy character, is running around the house. But you thought up a part of the story where Timmy falls into an enormous well. But your not to the point in the story of him falling in just yet. Buuuuttt .... you don't want this AWESOME inspiration you have for this ONE part to go away. Because you know that by the time you get to that point of the story the Inspiration Flare will have flown away, dissolved, gone-zo, ka-put!