Chapter 1: Muggle state of Mind

Chapter 1: Muggle state of mind

“Wow” Alice breathed, her huge brown doe eyes twinkling with enchantment. We had just seen Eclipse for the fifth time and each time was like seeing it for the first time. Yeah, I know. We are really lame, but hey, we’re twilight fans! Who can deny us the experience? I was more of a hard-core fan than Alice, but she was still pretty big. She mainly came along with me to see Taylor’s abbs and laugh at me while I ogled over Rob and hung on every word he said.

I laughed at her expression, clutching the small black handbag which swung from my shoulder. Alice turned on me then, walking backwards so she could face me with her accusatory stare. “What are you laughing at? I could swear you actually drooled that time!” she shot; her eyes were narrowed, but still sparkled with mirth. I heated instantly, my face turning an interesting shade of red. I hit her with my bag. “Oh shut up!” I hissed.

The hit was too much for Alice’s fragile balance, and her legs wobbled then collapsed, “WOAH!” she yelled as she went down. I leapt forward and caught her, hanging on tightly to her upper arms as she struggled to come up from her half collapsed position. I had this move perfectly practised, I was forever catching her. It had become so ingrained, that whenever anyone else fell, I instantly reached forward to catch them. Embarrassing to explain to everyone that your best friend has terrible balance.

She grinned up at me. “Thanks” she chuckled, as I hauled her to her feet. I smiled fondly as she stood, brushed herself off and turned to stand by my side. Holding my arm out for her, she grinned sheepishly and linked her arm through mine. This was our usual practise. The both of us walking arm and arm. It was for many reasons, but mostly because it was my way of preventing her from falling.

We walked down the hallway of the Cinema happily chatting randomly as we passed the doors to the other theatres. We walked through the main lobby, past the candy bar and the ticket counters and out the sliding doors and to the bright Australian sunshine. We stopped for a minute, both of us closing our eyes and breathing in the sights, sounds and smells of summer.

I sighed happily as my eyes fluttered open to reveal the bumbling city. Well… it wasn’t much of a city. More of a large shopping town. A sparrow flew past us, singing carelessly as it soared through the air and landed in a nearby tree. The spicy smell of exhaust fumes mingled with the delicious smells of food, wafting from the café next to us. I could hear the cups clinking on the saucers and the scraping of chairs against the concrete.

Alice interrupted me by snorting. Giving a start I looked across at her to see her brown, chestnut locks covering her face as she smiled down at her phone. She giggled and shoved the phone in my face so I could look at whatever was amusing her. “Look at what Jen says,” she snickered as I took the phone from her.  It was a text from our best friend Jennifer. The ever sarcastic and smart Jennifer.

‘No way!’ It read, I could even hear the tone she would have used if she were here.

‘srsly guys this is what, the billnth time u’ve seen it?’

I chuckled. It defiantly felt like it. Jen was defiantly not a twilight fan. Not at all. She read the books when they were first published and thought they were okay, but that’s it. She began to detest it when the big hype about it came out. She loved poking fun at me and found it amusing to watch my hackles rise as I raced to defend what I loved so dearly.

I handed the phone back to Alice. “So ally-poo” I said smiling, watching as her eyes narrowed as I used my pet name for her, “What are we doing now?” Alice smiled and pointed towards a familiar burgundy car which had pulled up in front of the theatre. “Well, my mother is here, so you’re on your own buddy.” She said giving me a friendly hug then walking happily to the car.  Chuckling as I watched her stumble a few times, the smile fell off my face when she turned around and yelled. “See ya anna-rogers!” she bellowed, smiling as she used that annoying pet name she formed when I had started calling her ally-poo. Bitch. I blushed as I realised that a few people were actually staring at me now. I looked back to give her another smart ass comment when I saw her car driving down the road. Damn. I would get her next time.