Chapter 10- Standing Strong

Upon arriving at the Polish border, her eyes stung with tears. Looking around, bodies laid all over the place. She walked over the rubble of the lifeless bloody bodies.

The more she looked the more tears came. She just hoped no one she knew died here. She walked towards the bodies with Luke closely behind her. The rubble of Warsaw stung of pain and regret.

She saw Alexi. She ran over to him, tears flowing from her green eyes. Alexi saw and waited to embrace his sister. She hugged him tight, cutting of his blood circulation. "Where's Nick?" She asked, pulling away from him. Alexi pointed to the spot behind him where Nick was slowly getting up.

She ran over to him and jumped on top of him. Causing Nick to fall back on the ground. "Nice to see you too." Nick said. Nick tried pushing away but couldn't. Alexi and Luke had to help pull her away.

"Tati, relax we're alive." Alexi said. Then three Nazi soldiers came up. "You're the obnoxious girl, from the exploding train." The taller bulkier one said.

"Have you finished hunting Jews?" She said, her eyes narrow. Before an answer could escape from his mouth, overhead jets passed dropping bombs. One bomb landed in the area they were in. Nick pushed Tatiana out of the way.

Luke, Alexi and Tatiana narrowly escaped injury. When the air clear, she scanned the surroundings. She limped over to the other bodies. Alexi got up and so did Luke.

When she couldn't see Nick, she started to worry. The ruins of Warsaw, laid around them. "It'll take forever, to find him." Tatiana said. "Over here!" Luke called over to them.

She pushed Luke out of the way and kneeled beside Nick. She felt his pulse. Nothing. Her whole world shattered. Alexi kneeled next to his sister and whispered into her ear. "Check the pocket on the inside of the uniform."

The two boys left her alone with Nick. She undid the uniform and found the pocket. She slipped out the little black box.

She opened the box. Inside was a ring. Her eyes widened and she dropped the box. She then picked the box up again. She glanced at the ring.

Her eyes focused on the stone. An opal was on the ring. Cut into a pear shape. She took the ring out and saw the metal was actually gold.

She placed the ring back in the box. Tears flowing gently from her eyes.
"Nick... I would've... said... yes." She said in between tears.

She placed a kiss on his lips. She cried, while clutching the box. While she cried a hand was placed on her shoulders. She turned, her vision blurry because of the tears, and hugged her brother.